Can someone recommend me a book?

Amy Smith
Amy Smith Registered Posts: 54 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Hello all!

I've recently begun working a long way from home... :001_unsure:

This now means I have a lot more time to read thanks to my commute and have already worn out the books I have.

If you're a keen reader like myself and have come across one of those books that you just couldn't put down, please do share!

Thank you in advance for your thoughts :001_smile:

Ams :001_tt2:
Here to help
~AAT Qualified~

Comments

• crispy
    crispy Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Surely all that time commuting will give you ample time to get well and truly stuck into all your exciting accountancy related books :D

I don't know of any good reading books (sorry) but if you are considering continuing to study post aat you may find this useful at some point: -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Students-International-Financial-Reporting-Standards/dp/1847107087/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360770078&sr=8-1

It's a book on accounting standards but is more light hearted / easier to follow. I used this when taking cima exams - very helpful!

Apologies that this may not be the sort of book you were looking for.
  • Amy Smith
    Hi crispy! :001_smile:

I was asking more for reading books, but nevertheless, your reply is appreciated!

I'm currently studying for my AAT, but I will definitely look to study further when qualified... I will keep this title in mind :thumbup1:

Thank you
    Here to help
    ~AAT Qualified~
  • mandatory
    mandatory Registered Posts: 59 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    What sort of books do you like? Or which authors have you liked in the past? I'm a big Haruki Murakami fan, I'd recommend his books any day. His stories are quite abstract, if you're into that sort of thing then you'll like Murakami. :)
  • Amy Smith
    Thank you!

I don't actually mind what books are recommended, I never just stick to a particular genre!

I'll look into the author and see what I can dish out :)
    Here to help
    ~AAT Qualified~
  • Makkusu
    Makkusu Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor โญ
    What sort of books do you like? Or which authors have you liked in the past? I'm a big Haruki Murakami fan, I'd recommend his books any day. His stories are quite abstract, if you're into that sort of thing then you'll like Murakami. :)

Beat me to it! I was convinced I'd be the only fan here to recommend! :)

Brilliant author!
  • mandatory
    mandatory Registered Posts: 59 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Beat me to it! I was convinced I'd be the only fan here to recommend! :)

Brilliant author!

Agreed! I just finished reading Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World (loved it!), going to start Sputnik Sweetheart next. I'm not sure what I'd recommend starting with, the first Murakami book I read was After Dark. I'd say The Wind Up Bird Chronicles is a good one to get stuck into. I want to finish all of his books this year since that was my New Year's Resolution but my library is closing slowly in time for our new one so it's not easy... might need to start buying books again!
  • katiewh1607
    katiewh1607 Registered Posts: 11 Regular contributor โญ
    Kite Runner was really good by Khaled Hosseini, he also wrote A Thousand Splendid Sons which was also amazing. Any books by John Grisham are also great to read, especially the Confession :)
  • Amy Smith
    Thank you to all of you!

I have some free time, so will be able to look into all of these and stock up on my kindle!

If I read a book you've recommended, I'll come back to you with my thoughts :001_smile:
    Here to help
    ~AAT Qualified~
  • Sue
    Sue Registered Posts: 217 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    If you have a kindle, try this website: http://www.ereaderiq.co.uk/

You can subscribe and receive an email every day listing free books to download in the genres you select.

Although you do need to watch before you click on the buy option in Amazon, because they are usually only free for a day or so after you receive the email.
  • Amy Smith
    Oh wow, I did not know about this!

Can't say no to a free book :001_smile:
    Thank you very much!
    Here to help
    ~AAT Qualified~
  • Sue
    Sue Registered Posts: 217 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    There are also other website's you can subscribe to, but this is the one I use. When I first subscribed I was downloading a book nearly every day. Just keep an eye on the price when it transfers you to Amazon as I was caught out once as the book was no longer free! I've had over 200 free books so can't complain about paying for 1!

Also on Amazon there is a Kindle discussion forum where people wil post when they find free books.
  • Amy Smith
    Just used the link you provided and bought 6 books for ยฃ0.00!

Now let's see how good they are...
    Thank you again
    Here to help
    ~AAT Qualified~
Privacy Policy