Recovering CIS Tax

Options
Fingersan
Fingersan Registered Posts: 84 Regular contributor ⭐
Good afternoon all

I have a small problem which I hope you can help me with.

I have a Ltd client who has done some work through the CIS scheme. The contractor correctly deducted the 20% CIS tax, as my client was verified by the contractor correctly.

However, my client does not have a PAYE scheme as the two directors work as employees under PAYE elsewhere for a non related company. My clients company just does an odd bit of work here and there for an extra bit of bunce for the directors.

Ordinarily, CIS tax would be claimed and refunded (eventually 8 months after the event!!) on the P35 but as my client does not need to complete a P35 / is not registered for PAYE, would it be a simple case of writing to HMRC and asking for a refund?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• stevo5678
    stevo5678 Registered Posts: 325
    Options
    As far as I know that's all you can do, I can't see any issues.

CIS has its querks!
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Agreed, contact the PAYE business team, I'd try phoning them first to get an idea if you're doing the right thing, as a letter can be in the system months while you wonder whats going on.

I'm currently trying to get a refund of some CIS deductions from last year, it could simply have been deducted off Mar12's PAYE payment, but because it was missed they're making us junk through hoops!
  • LynWest
    LynWest Registered Posts: 122 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I agree with PGM, contact PAYE business team. I have finally got a letter to say that they are going to refund CIS deductions from last year!! It has been a nightmare. Thankfully i finally got to speak to somewhere at HMRC who was helpful and actually did help. Good luck
Privacy Policy