PTX result

Got my personal tax result after 4 weeks and 2 days. I have asked for my feedback as i was convinced i failed.

I managed a pass, depending on my feedback i am assuming i must have just done enough.

I knew i did well in section 2 but i messed up a couple of key questions in section 1. I must have been lucky with the marking system or not lost as many marks for my perceived errors as i thought.

Comments

• Spamkebab
    Spamkebab Registered Posts: 233 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Congrats Omega, you are steaming through them now. A pass is a pass, feedback is interesting to have though.

I had ICAS marked as competent yesterday on my 3rd draft. I'm finished now thank god, what a ride though.

Well done, good luck with your BTX results.

Neil.
  • SamiH
    SamiH Registered Posts: 179 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Fantastic, well done :)

Did you find it was similar to the practice exam at all? I only ask as I sit it myself in 2 weeks time.
  • omega man
    omega man Registered Posts: 283
    Samih - No it is nothing like the practice one i am afraid, i think it is because the tax system is so complicated.
    Neil - Well done for passing ICAS, like you i was bad on first draft but i hopefully will get done on 3rd or 4th draft.
    I take my FNST on 14th March.
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    omega man wrote: »
    Got my personal tax result after 4 weeks and 2 days. I have asked for my feedback as i was convinced i failed.

I managed a pass, depending on my feedback i am assuming i must have just done enough.

I knew i did well in section 2 but i messed up a couple of key questions in section 1. I must have been lucky with the marking system or not lost as many marks for my perceived errors as i thought.

Congratulations Omega Man :o Fantastic news!
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Jo Clark
    Spamkebab wrote: »
    Congrats Omega, you are steaming through them now. A pass is a pass, feedback is interesting to have though.

I had ICAS marked as competent yesterday on my 3rd draft. I'm finished now thank god, what a ride though.

Well done, good luck with your BTX results.

Neil.

Congratulations Neil :o What's next for you?
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Spamkebab
    Looks like i'll be saving up Jo. I really want to have a crack at ACCA but having self funded the AAT i'm a bit short of cash right now.

I've got a couple of books to go at, one for Excel (Business Modelling and Analysis) and Management and Cost Accounting, so these will keep me fairly busy and help build my knowledge.

I dream of landing a role that offers study support, but it probably is only a dream.

Neil.
  • Jo Clark
    Don't give up on that dream Neil, I have a dream too... :o

"Everything starts with a dream, a particle of our imagination that teases us of what the future could be like, as long as we fight for it..." - +Gurbaksh Chahal
    Benjamin Franklin
  • omega man
    Looked at my feedback and i met on 20 tasks and did not meet on 3 two of those in section 1 and one in section 2.
    I think i was lucky on this occasion but i remember someone saying that there are very few if any that you can exceed in PTX exam.
  • Spamkebab
    20 out of 23 is good going, plus you never know by how much you did not meet the other 3 Omega, may have just been by a midges bits.

Thanks Jo, i'll keep on dreaming. i am really good at it now lol.

Neil.
  • omega man
    Well 2 of them 1.1 and 2.1 are just one or two multi choice questions on legislative stuff, so not many marks dropped there. I did do badly on the benefits in kind car one which i was aware of.
  • Nps
    Nps Registered Posts: 782
    Spamkebab,

With regards to the money situation for ACCA, you may find it less of a struggle than with AAT (if you self study anyway - if you like classroom sessions then I agree, it would probably bankrupt must of us!).

As exams are only held every 6 months, and the syllabuses are so much larger, you find that you are forcibly slowed down and hence spend less. You will already be exempt from F1-3 (but as you may already know, I am a believer that actually taking the exams is useful). The exemptions are free so initially you would just have to pay the ACCA membership costs (which then gives you reduced AAT membership costs). The earlier you book ACCA exams the cheaper they are (approx £70-£200+ if you apply late). I am currently spending in the region of £130 per level and that's for books, revision questions and the exam. I'm trying to do 2-3 exams per session so of course costs are mounting up, but if you only do 1 per session, the costs are obviously more manageable.

Although study texts are released every year, in reality, a lot of the syllabuses remain very similar if not identical, you can therefore pick up older copies on eBay for a lot less than the most recent texts. The same goes for the revision kits. Just be careful as obviously you do need up to date texts for some of the exams such as F6 which changes with each finance act.

I spent a fortune on AAT purely because I did it in such a short space of time that all the costs came very close together. I am definitely spending less now I am doing ACCA.

You could even start studying and not even pay any ACCA fees until you are ready to sit your first exam which in your case would be December realistically. You also have 10 years to complete ACCA so you really can take it steady. Would be such a shame to not get started though due to money. And in the meantime, you might find your dream job and your employer starts paying for it all!
Privacy Policy