Need help :(

anetapaterek
anetapaterek Registered Posts: 2 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
Hello everyone! I am trying to get back on track and finish (or start!) Level 4. I finished Level 3 in August 2011 and did nothing since then. I am a distance learner but not getting much support or motivation from my learning provider. Could anyone help me figure out where should I start? Which unit is the best to do first? My learning provider recommended doing Financial Statements to start with and I've tried but then gave up! :( Maybe I should start with Budgeting, than do Financial Performance and Financial Statements as a third?

Any help would be appreciated!
Aneta

Comments

• Whirlwind
    Whirlwind Registered Posts: 249 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hi,

Maybe you need to be in a more structured/classroom based environment as distance learning doesn't suit everyone. I'm sure you have done this, but it always helps to remind yourself why you are studying, whats your goal, print off your statement of acheivement so far to see how far you have come, rather than what you have left to do. What did you enjoy in level 3? If CRS then try BGT, if API&II then FNST.

Positive thinking is the way to go though!! Chin up, you are not alone!!
  • anetapaterek
    anetapaterek Registered Posts: 2 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Thanks! I think I enjoyed more API&II but what freaks me out is the written parts of the exam. English is not my first language and I always feel double stressed if I have have to provide answers in writing. I have printed an assessment plan, set some goals and will try to start tonight. I think I may try and start with Budgeting and see how it goes.
  • Whirlwind
    Whirlwind Registered Posts: 249 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    The written parts were the worst and I only speak English .. although as a Londoner!!

I would find every written answer (even in older papers) and try to find a pattern to the way they explain things. I would then copy and recopy these until I had an idea of how the language worked, then enter the relevant info from the task I was trying to answer. Its like switching another section of the brain into gear.
  • sjf369
    sjf369 Registered Posts: 13 Regular contributor โญ
    Hi Aneta,

Keep your chin up and keep trying. I've booked my 4th attempt at FNST for 14th March and I'm terrified that I won't pass again. I'm studying it as a distance learner too. I've passed ICAS, PTX and BGT but Ive been told to do FNST and then FNPF next as they link together apparently. I didn't attempt all the practice exams last time and I'm hoping that doing all the practice exams several time helps this time.
    Good Luck.
  • omega man
    omega man Registered Posts: 283
    I am doing FNST on 14th March too at Birmingham 13.30 hrs. It will be my last exam apart from any re-takes and i am waiting for PTX and BTX results. I have no re-takes yet. My ICAS first draft feedback came back and it was nothing short of a disaster only doing ok in 5/27 areas, most of the problem is just structure and mapping so back to work on it again.
  • emuratty
    emuratty Registered Posts: 66 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I agree with Whirlwind, perhaps a classroom environment might help. You would get support from your tutor, but also from other students. My college tutor has been excellent at talking us through some of the written questions so we know how to answer them.

My friend at college is Russian and has similar confidence issues about her written English. I'm petty sure though that when they are marking the questions they don't assess you on grammar and spelling, it's about your understanding.

Your written English here looks fine to me anyway:-)

Oh, and so far I found Budgeting the easiest. Financial Performance was horrible (but it's all management accounts 1stuff that I hate) and Financial Statements has been mostly ok, just hard to remember all the standards. I'm not sure I would have understood some of the FP and FS stuff had I not been learning in a classroom environment though, a tutor giving "real-life" examples really helps you to understand and remember. ICAS was ok, although time consuming - but as its not done in exam conditions you can get someone else to proof read it for you.
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I'm petty sure though that when they are marking the questions they don't assess you on grammar and spelling, it's about your understanding.

Your written English here looks fine to me anyway:-)

When I was completing Level 4, the written section required that a memo/email be prepared or even just a freestyle piece of text. My tutor advised that we should ensure that we checked the spelling and presentation as you would do in the work place. For example, if we had to do a memo you had who it was to and from and the date and a subject. Written skills and presentation will be particularly important when completing ICAS (The Project). I think most students will Wordprocess this and therefore can make use of the spelling and grammar function on the application they use.

I appreciate that English may not be this students first language and maybe this is something that can be flagged up with the AAT when sitting exams... can't think what the terminology is now but something like reasonable adjustments etc.... Just a thought :o
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • emuratty
    emuratty Registered Posts: 66 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I appreciate that English may not be this students first language and maybe this is something that can be flagged up with the AAT when sitting exams... can't think what the terminology is now but something like reasonable adjustments etc.... Just a thought :o

My Russian friend asked about the "reasonable adjustment" at our college but was told she wasn't eligible, she had asked about taking a Russian/English dictionary into the exams in case she came across a word she didn't know but was told this wasn't allowed. Her English is excellent, but she does occasionally come across a word she doesn't understand.

My tutor said the same about checking your spelling etc, but I can't see that they would mark you down too much for a couple of spelling mistakes if your content and understanding is good.
  • Claire1705
    Claire1705 Registered Posts: 37 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I am doing Level 4 through distance learning having done 2&3 through college and have realised how difficult it is without any 'class mates' that you can work through the topics with or even a tutor that isnt 40+ miles. My provider recommended Budgeting and Financial Performance (which is quite tough) which I managed to pass first time - they do vaguely follow on from each other - I have been studying Financial Statements since fairly early on in the year and am also finding it a bit of a nightmare and can fully understand why you might be tempted to give up but if you go on the fact that FS is in many peoples opinions the most difficult module, you should find the others a lot less difficult. I started Level 4 more or less as soon as I finished Level 3 and found that the first two units do have a a fair amount of level 3 related material included that you should be able to build on.
Privacy Policy