Just missed out on a job opportunity due to lack of a relevant degree?.

Dahir Ahmed
Dahir Ahmed Registered Posts: 63 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Hi All
And let the moaning commence....

After getting through to the 2nd interview stage, I now feel deflated after receiving the below from the Company I'd applied to;

"You received positive feedback, but the main reason for giving the position to someone else is that they had a relevant degree relating to the role."

I'll take that even though I honestly think there's more to it than they're letting on but hey, I get rejected even for voluntary positions so I'll definitely take that. Lol.

Just wondering if anyone (without a degree) has suffered the same fate as me before (more of a rhetorical question for we're in a perpetual "fight" against Graduates for entry level positions, aren't we?) and how you went about getting your foot in the proverbial door of the Accountancy profession?.

I'll now go take it all out on the FNPF book and a tub of Ben & Jerry's.:001_tt2:

Comments

• reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hi All
    And let the moaning commence....

After getting through to the 2nd interview stage, I now feel deflated after receiving the below from the Company I'd applied to;

"You received positive feedback, but the main reason for giving the position to someone else is that they had a relevant degree relating to the role."

I'll take that even though I honestly think there's more to it than they're letting on but hey, I get rejected even for voluntary positions so I'll definitely take that. Lol.

Just wondering if anyone (without a degree) has suffered the same fate as me before (more of a rhetorical question for we're in a perpetual "fight" against Graduates for entry level positions, aren't we?) and how you went about getting your foot in the proverbial door of the Accountancy profession?.

I'll now go take it all out on the FNPF book and a tub of Ben & Jerry's.:001_tt2:

I got my current role and previous role by sending out my CV on a speculative basis to firms of chartered accountants that I found using the following websites:

http://find.icaew.com/

http://www.accountancyage.com/static/top50-this-year

As long as you keep applying I'm sure you'll find something (even if you don't have any experience). It took me months and months of random applications in order to get work experience, my previous job and current role, however it has definitely been worth while, especially if you get a good job and good money.

Don't give up!!! I'm sure in a few years time you'll be AAT, ACCA qualified and advising the new generation of AAT students regarding how to get a foot in the door.
  • Spamkebab
    Spamkebab Registered Posts: 233 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Heh,

I sent my CV to one firm of accountants complete with a nice wee covering letter offering my services on a voluntary basis.

2 weeks later i received my CV back through the post with 'Not what we are looking for' scribbled through it!

I didn't even know they was looking until i volunteered lol.

Beat that then

Neil
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    Hi Dahir Ahmed,

Just out of interest, what was the job you were applying to? The "relevant degree" bit is intriguing....
  • Dahir Ahmed
    Thanks Reader.

Neil; you just made my day!. Lol. You win hands down!.

MarieNoelle; it was a Finance Accounts Junior position. The Financial Controller (conducted my 2nd interview - a Chartered Management Accountant) hadn't "heard of the AAT".
  • welshwizard
    welshwizard Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Hi
    It's a terrible thing to say, but I think you'll find that this is the story all over the UK. With people qualifying (AAT, ACCA, ACA, CIMA) every few months, the market is becoming saturated as employers are just not recruiting 'accountants' en masse. Therefore, all the ACCA, CIMA and AAT graduates are fighting for 'lesser' roles which, in turn pushes the make up off the lower end of the job market to higher qualified staff.
    I think things will only change when the economy recovers and businesses start recruiting again.
    In the meantime, get any experience you can (even voluntary) - as this will make you the better, more attractive candidate next time.

Good luck!
  • sadia tariq
    sadia tariq Registered Posts: 3 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    exams booked computerised accounting

Do i have to give any online assessment on' Learn Plus' before i sit for the exams?
  • villapb
    villapb Registered Posts: 357
    conducted my 2nd interview - a Chartered Management Accountant) hadn't "heard of the AAT".

Probably a lot he/she hadn't heard off ........
  • danielk
    danielk Registered Posts: 12 Regular contributor โญ
    to op, sorry to hear of your recent events but hang in there.
    im short for time at the moment but if you search on here for aat degree there was a post i rememeber, stating that with aat you could do an online one year degree course for ยฃ2000 in international accounting.
    not sure if AAT still have this deal as i recall the post was later 2011 but check it out.
    regards
    dan
  • CeeJaySix
    CeeJaySix Registered Posts: 645
    What Reader said - speculative approaches. I've just posted the same in another thread, but essentially you're up against far fewer people if your CV lands on a desk before the job's advertised. I contacted 7 firms and ended up with 3 job offers all at well over normal trainee wages, only level 2 qualified (nine years military experience, management skills but nothing directly related). Learn to sell yourself well and get your CV on people's desks before they even know they're looking for someone. Good luck!
  • Dahir Ahmed
    Thanks CeeJaySix and good on you.

I always go down the speculative route as well but haven't had that much of a break. I'll keep soldiering on (no pun intended).
Privacy Policy