project

Sharon28
Sharon28 Registered Posts: 9 Regular contributor ⭐
Help I have had my project 2 months now + haven't a clue what to do I've looked at the icas book & it may as well be written in chinese as I don't understand it. Does anyone live near willenhall & have done theirs who can give me some guidance & show me a completed one so I no what ine looks like . I do.not want to copy anyones so pls don't think that . I just need help confused1:

Comments

• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hello Sharon

Have you spoken to your tutor about ICAS? Do you know if you are going to complete the project using a case study provided by AAT or is it going to be work based.

Who are you doing ICAS with?

All the training providers that I know of provide support and guidance regarding what to do, how to start etc.

You may also want to do a search of the level 4/technician forum as there are lots of posts there which you may find contain helpful information.

I'm happy to offer my help/assistance but not sure where willenhall is so probably miles away from me... As for what ICAS look like, it should be in the format of a report, including front cover, contents, appendices, mapping document etc. Pages should be numbered to assist with the mapping and the various sections will probably have headings and you may use sub headings and paragraph numbering.

Hope some of the above helps.

JC
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Jo Clark
    Sharon28 wrote: »
    Does anyone live near willenhall

Nope... just short of 200 miles away.... but happy to help here :o
    Benjamin Franklin
  • omega man
    omega man Registered Posts: 283
    I am in wolves doing my ICAS too waiting for 3 draft to be marked.
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hi Sharon

Which book are you using ?

It does seem very daunting I agree and I have to admit I gave up on my first one, (that was more personal reasons)
    but I used the BPP book and found this really helpfull.

Good luck

Jan
  • Jetina
    Jetina Registered Posts: 31 Epic contributor 🐘
    I'm feeling like this too, I just can't get started. I've got the Osborne book to try and help me but I don't work in accounts and I think that's what's really hindering me :(
  • Sharon28
    hi jo

im using the case study provided by AAT,

Thanks any help is much appreciated ive looked at the knowledge paperwork first and cant get my head around that omg this year is soooo hard

Thanks again
    Shaz
  • Sharon28
    HI jan

im using the ICAS book from osbourne what is the BPP book without sounding too thick lol

shaz
  • Sharon28
    HI Jetina

Im using the osbourne book too and i do work in accounts but its not helping me at all

Shaz
  • Jo Clark
    HI jan

im using the ICAS book from osbourne what is the BPP book without sounding too thick lol

shaz

The book which Jan is using is the ICAS book provided by the training provider BPP.
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Jo Clark
    hi jo

im using the case study provided by AAT,

Thanks any help is much appreciated ive looked at the knowledge paperwork first and cant get my head around that omg this year is soooo hard

Thanks again
    Shaz

Hello Sharon

What knowledge paperwork are you referring to?

Don't panic, work slowly through the requirements and build the project up in small pieces.

Which case study have you been given and have you identified the area/s which you will concentrate/focus on in your report?

JC
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Sharon28
    Jo Clark wrote: »
    Hello Sharon

What knowledge paperwork are you referring to?

Don't panic, work slowly through the requirements and build the project up in small pieces.

Which case study have you been given and have you identified the area/s which you will concentrate/focus on in your report?

JC

Hi jo

Its the principles of internal control (knowledge)
    items 1.1 - 3.4
    the cast study is Sandwich master
    Ive read the stupid thing omg I don't see you we have to do this dam project isn't the course work enough omg they want blood lol ;-(
  • Jo Clark
    Hi jo

Its the principles of internal control (knowledge)
    items 1.1 - 3.4
    the cast study is Sandwich master
    Ive read the stupid thing omg I don't see you we have to do this dam project isn't the course work enough omg they want blood lol ;-(

Hello Sharon

I had Sandwich Master as my case study... lots of areas to select for review etc. from that case study and write about.

Re 1.1. - 3.4 (The complete Principles of Internal Control section), you need to read what each of these areas is asking you to cover and ensure that you do so in your report.

For example, and I am sure your training provider will have provided some form of guidance, PIC 1.1 - Describe the purpose, structure and organisation of the accounting function and its relationships with other functions within the organisation

For this I would write a paragraph which contained details about the purpose, structure and organisation of the accounting function of Sandwich Master Limited and how it interacts/reacts to other functions within the organisation. You may want to include an organisation chart as an appendix and make reference to it in the main body of your report.

Have you looked at the Evaluating Accounting Systems section yet?

I left ICAS until last as I thought it would be good to draw upon all the knowledge and skills gained from the other modules already completed.

I wasn't looking forward to completing ICAS, however once I started, it just flowed... and I had to be very mindful of my word count. The support I received from my tutor was fantastic as well. I think it is an important module as many students will not be prepared or have the skills required to write a report. I think that a lot of students struggle with the written elements of level 4 exams and am sure that I read in Accounting Technician or some other accountancy journal that the new structure of AAT will include written elements at level 3, possibly 2, but I'm not 100% on that.

Anyway, the way I approached ICAS and I personally recommend that you may like to consider doing the same is to sit down with a note book, pen and highlighter, read through the case study and make notes of things which don't see 'right/areas for concern etc' in the company and also highlight sections to refer back to.

Is ICAS the last module you have to complete? Who are you completing ICAS with?

I hope this helps you move forward with your project.

JC
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Malcolm Green
    Malcolm Green Registered Posts: 105 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hi Sharon,

First of all you are not alone!

The hardest thing about the ICAS project is "Starting It" and getting yourself motivated to do it.

4,000 words is nothing to worry about when you really get in to it you will wish you could do a lot more.

The hardest part is actually keeping it all within the guidelines and completing the final mapping of all the assessment areas required.

So why not just take one step at a time and make a tentative start such as setting up you main section headings and putting down a few of your initial thoughts.

The good news is you are now on your way.................

You will need to spend time planning out your work and to consider what research you will need and the results of all this will give you the main body and content for the presentation of your report.

The AAT have produced a lot of good information to help get you started and on your way and you may like to have a look at a few of these:

https://services.aat.org.uk/myaat/pa_lsb/
    https://services.aat.org.uk/elearn/

https://services.aat.org.uk/myaat/guidance_standards/

https://services.aat.org.uk/myaat/qualification

We have also covered this at one of our Birmingham branch student revision workshops.

I have set out below a link for this for you, where you will be able to download an example of a basic report to give you an idea for layout etc.

http://aatbirmingham.org.uk/2012/free-performance-enhancer-revision-workshop-review.html#more-1224

Also do a search on the forum for ICAS posts using the filter option and you will find a host of further information on all of this to have look at.

At the end of the day you will find this a lot easy to do than learning Chinese as that is a really difficult language to learn.

Finally as a student member you would be welcome to attend AAT branch meetings held in Wolverhampton or Birmingham.

All the very best with the completion of your ICAS project.
Privacy Policy