SSP - Calling payroll experts!!

T.C.
T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
I am not an expert in payroll. I have been asked whether this sounds right:
Employee earning approx £400 per week is diagnosed with cancer and will have to have approx 3/4 months off work. Employer says that he will only get SSP, which is about £70 per week.
Does that sound right???

Comments

• Laura8192
    Laura8192 Registered Posts: 95 Epic contributor 🐘
    I'm not a payroll expert either but unfortunately yes that does sound right (SSP is £85.85 not £70 a week though).

It all depends what is in the employment contract. It is up to the employer to offer an enhanced sick pay policy but the minimum they legally have to offer is SSP. Many employers offer 6 weeks full pay, which is then made up of £85.85 a week SSP and the company pay the rest.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Thank you. So this is just a really mean employer then! Thanks for your help.
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    T.C. wrote: »
    Thank you. So this is just a really mean employer then! Thanks for your help.

Yep. Not only did I only get SSP but my employers tried to sack me for taking time off when I had cancer. My contract said if I was off for longer than 6 months then they could sack me and they started to go down that route until I pointed out to them that my cancer was pregnancy related and then they quickly backed off. Needless to say I didn't return to them once I was recovered :001_smile:
Privacy Policy