Annual Investment Allowance

Options
jewels.p
jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
Hi,

Can someone please advise me. We are currently looking to replace a lot of production equipment in our Factory i.e Mixing Tanks and are wondering if we can claim the current AIA of up to £200,000 on this? We have been told by a Chartered Accountant that we might not be able to claim AIA as these tanks are replacements but I don't understand this as it is equipment needed for our business or does it come under Fixtures & Fittings?

I would be grateful of any advice on this.

Thanks

Comments

• Anne Boleyn
    Anne Boleyn Registered Posts: 196 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi

I believe the AIA was reduced to £25K for purchases after 1/6 April 2012. Is it possible to stagger the purchases over a few years? It's possible that the AIA may be raised in subsequent budgets.

You can still claim writing down allowance at 18% although this obviously isn't as good. More experienced practitioners may be able to offer further help.
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hi Anne,

Thanks for that. The Government have increased the AIA to £250,000 for purchases after 1/1/13 until the end of 2014. I am just not sure if we can claim AIA on the new mixing tanks or not. Hopefully someone can advise.

:001_smile:
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    It all comes down to whether the mixing tanks qualify as plant and machinery for CA purposes or not.

Plenty of info on what is or isn't here - http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/camanual/CA21000.htm
    Regards,

Burg
  • stevo5678
    stevo5678 Registered Posts: 325
    Options
    If they are not capital then they are revenue expenses. Either way you will end up with tax relief.
Privacy Policy