Pay for AAT qualified person

ppritam
ppritam Registered Posts: 10 Regular contributor ⭐
Hello all

i am sure so many people must be thinking about this.......

how much does and AAT level 4 qualified person can earn without experience..... for example i am in IT and going to do AAT level 2 and all the course websites advertised big salaries fof AAT level 4 qualified people but the seller always exagerate their product so i dont really trust them.....

i'd love to hear from AAT certified people who were lucky enough to get a job with just AAT and not ACCA or CIMA......

kind regards

Pp

Comments

• deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Minimum wage?
  • business_connex4u
    business_connex4u Registered Posts: 10 Regular contributor ⭐
    Get some experience, or you probably will not even get an interview.
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Get some experience, or you probably will not even get an interview.

Agreed, even if voluntary work. I have listened to my manager taking calls from people asking about a vacancy where I work, and they have been telling the caller that they need finance experience and that it must be recent.
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Vlee
    Vlee Registered Posts: 136 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Jo - is voluntary work taken seriously? And work experience/intern type unpaid work? I'd love to know what finance managers think. I'm hoping to fill two voluntary treasury roles alongside study and some work placements later on but I know the job market is brutal right now.
  • Jo Clark
    Vlee wrote: »
    Jo - is voluntary work taken seriously? And work experience/intern type unpaid work? I'd love to know what finance managers think. I'm hoping to fill two voluntary treasury roles alongside study and some work placements later on but I know the job market is brutal right now.

I can't see why it shouldn't be. It is a job/post doing finance type work using the skills and knowledge you have acquired whilst studying/still studying for your AAT qualification.

You have given a commitment, dedication and your time for free in order to help others and also to better yourself and gain the necessary experience. Why should that not be taken seriously?

I am sure some people may have different views to me, however some of the voluntary work people undertake can be for large national/international charities and there is often competition to be awarded the post, even on a voluntary basis, i.e. interviews etc.

I think any experience voluntary or otherwise is worth doing and as I said in my original reply, my manager was speaking to prospective candidates and saying that for the job role recent experience of working within a finance environment was necessary ... so go for it Vlee... I would if I were in your shoes.

JC :001_rolleyes:
    Benjamin Franklin
  • ppritam
    thanks for the replies guys but it raises more questions than answer my original question.... so there must be hundreds of people if not thousands completing their AAT level 2-3-4 and hundreds of them if not thousands don’t have the experience.....so what happens to them? are they left at the mercy of their luck? do they just wait for someone to hire them for some volunteer work? So isn’t it like chicken and egg situation? ......ggggggrrrrrrr

can anyone share their experience of getting some volunteer work experiences etc…. Is there any industry where its easier to get work/work experience than others?

Regards
  • Jo Clark
    My personal experience of voluntary work experience is that I have been looking for voluntary work and have not been able to find any, although that is not to say you won't be able to find some - it depends what you want to do and what is available.

Unfortunately I don't have any statistics to quote to you about the number students who become AAT qualified and then obtain/don't obtain work.

I think you will find a lot of students are currently working in accounting or a related field so can obtain some experience on the job. If not, then voluntary work would be the way to go. Try this website http://www.do-it.org.uk An alternative would be to write to local companies/accountancy firms to enquire after work experience, voluntary work or a trainee position/apprenticeship, depending on your circumstances.

I, like many others will have been working whilst studying for the AAT so the experience was gained on the job and what was learnt in class/self taught was applied to everyday going ons.

What is your current position? Do you know if you have a preferred area to work in? How much were you hoping your starting salary to be? Where do you live as this will have a bearing on salary. Have you read job descriptions for these jobs you say the seller exagerates etc. as I am sure they may have attractive renumerations packages but will probably be asking for relevant experience.

Regarding the pay for an AAT qualified without experience, I would agree with Dean that it would probably be minimum wage or not much more as you will potentially require more training/supervision than someone who has had some relevant/recent accounting/finance experience.

I hope this helps and doesn't give rise to even more questions for you :o

Good luck with your studies and finding the job you seek.

JC
    Benjamin Franklin
  • ppritam
    thanks for the reply JC... i am in IT field....in UK…. the finance controller in my company has agreed for me to shadow people in finance but its management accounting and i m interested in taxation etc....ACCA…. i have a feeling i will end up in management accounting purely because i can’t get into practice or industry practicing ACCA due to lack of experience and I am already 34 …. But the good thing is I have a good chance of getting in if there is an opening in my company…..

well time will tell I guess…. Fingers crossed, will keep you guys informed……

thanks
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Accounts for charities are always good experience. I became a trustee for a local charity to gain some experience....many, many years ago!
  • Becky V
    Becky V Registered Posts: 374 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    T.C. wrote: »
    Accounts for charities are always good experience. I became a trustee for a local charity to gain some experience....many, many years ago!

Hi I have been asked to accounts for a local preschool, not sure how much to charge any ideas? Did you apply for MIP when you done this? Thanks in advance.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I would suggest volunteering first. If you want to charge, I would go as low as possible. The experience is invaluable.
  • Becky V
    Becky V Registered Posts: 374 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Thank you for the reply. Are you a MIP? I am about to apply for mine.
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Experience is something that most practices will want when choosing a qualified AAT.

The salaries are going to vary based on location and practice v industry and your experience. With no experience the pay is going to be lower.

Qualified with some experience could be £17k +

When we have employed in the past we haven't always required experience just the right attitude and willingness to learn. I'm not sure if it's our modern practice that has allowed this or just our views on good employees.

Writing to local practices and offering your services either on a reduced rate or for free may get you the opportunity to get some experience and then who knows from there.
    Regards,

Burg
  • missmel
    missmel Registered Posts: 27 Regular contributor ⭐
    If you want to work in practice you will need to take on a juniors position.
    I'd suggest writing a covering letter that outlines pretty much what you explained in the opening post, say that you are looking for an entry level role, attach your CV.

I have worked for over 20 years in management accounting and decided I'd like the change to in practice, I got in with a company by taking on a part time entry level job, I have enjoyed it but as it is a very small firm I am not progressing - but I am building up my own bookkeeping and subbie tax return work and I do have a higher qualified person to ask questions and mentor me.
  • ppritam
    mismel....really???? 20 years in management accounting and still have to take an entry level job????? you must be fraustrated...... is it because you need three years to be "signed off"? so even if had done the exams you'd still need to start from the bottom?
    accounting is starting to scare me now... :( and were you able to get the role because you are already an accountant?
    and whey you say you have a higher qualified person to ask for...you mean an ACCA qualified person?
    ACCA more fun i guess than CIMA?
  • missmel
    missmel Registered Posts: 27 Regular contributor ⭐
    I left management accounting for a job in practice at a equal level, but the job I took let me go after 3 months because they lost a big customer, I did discuss a lower level/paid job with them but decided it had been a bitter experience all round and to go elsewhere - I then came up against what all of you on this thread are talking about which is that I didn't have experience in a practice environment.

Yes it is frustrating, I also churn out lots of work above and beyond my employed level because I want to be seen to be doing things so that I might be paid a bit more for and get a bit more responsibility, but a year on I have realised that I am not going to be given more because my colleagues have been there longer and that would be unfair on them.

The practice is run by an ACCA member & she has years of experience too so is a really good mentor, I also really like my colleagues & clients.

I didn't mean to scare anyone but what I would recommend from my experience is that if you are starting AAT to get in with a practice at that point so you can grow as you pass your exams, taking an entry level job with a practice looking for junior may well be an easier fast track route than being qualified without experience.
  • mentorkeith
    mentorkeith Registered Posts: 74 Epic contributor 🐘
    Phewwww!

Jo you stated " I have listened to my manager taking calls from people asking about a vacancy where I work, and they have been telling the caller that they need finance experience and that it must be recent."

I worked in the accountancy field for 25 years and then was made redundant in 2007. After working those years without a break, I decided to take a career break. When I decided to get back into work, the credit crunch hit us. I have been trying to get back into work but kept being told by agencies that no employer would take me on because I was out of touch because I did not have recent experience. I was advised to get back to scratch by studying the AAT up to at least level 3. This I have now completed. So although I have massive PAST experience and AM qualified at level 3, I DO NOT HAVE recent experience. Does this mean that I cannot use both my past experience and recent qualification to get a job because I do not have recent experience?

Does anybody have advice how I (54) can get back into a senior accounting role.
  • Jo Clark
    Phewwww!

Jo you stated " I have listened to my manager taking calls from people asking about a vacancy where I work, and they have been telling the caller that they need finance experience and that it must be recent."

I worked in the accountancy field for 25 years and then was made redundant in 2007. After working those years without a break, I decided to take a career break. When I decided to get back into work, the credit crunch hit us. I have been trying to get back into work but kept being told by agencies that no employer would take me on because I was out of touch because I did not have recent experience. I was advised to get back to scratch by studying the AAT up to at least level 3. This I have now completed. So although I have massive PAST experience and AM qualified at level 3, I DO NOT HAVE recent experience. Does this mean that I cannot use both my past experience and recent qualification to get a job because I do not have recent experience?

Does anybody have advice how I (54) can get back into a senior accounting role.

Hello Keith

I was simply stating what my manager had said, however, I do to some extent agree as do the agencies per your post above. I think the first thing to consider is what is the definition of recent? It could be that the enquirer told my manager when they last worked in a particular area and this prompted the comment about recent experience. Practices, rules and regulations etc. change over time and therefore, with the greatest of respect you may be out of date regardless of your wealth of experience etc. but you are putting that right by doing AAT!

Congratulations on achieving level 3 AAT. Are you planning to continue with level 4 and then move to ACCA/CIMA/ATT etc? As you are well aware the job market is tough and regardless of qualifications held, experience also gets taken into consideration. I have read many posts where students are AAT qualified but lack experience so find it difficult to obtain employment. Ideally you would start in a junior post and study and progress through the company as you passed more exams... as I say ideally, however this may not suit/work for everyone.

There are several posts about experience and often the response is that a good way to gain experience is to volunteer as a treasurer for the local church, school PTA, etc. You may like to look at this website http://www.do-it.org.uk/

There may be employers who would take you on as an employee with no recent experience, however I think you would find they would be junior roles, nothing wrong with that... and you could then demonstrate you abilities etc and work your way up through the company. I'm not sure if you are looking to work in practice/industry or don't mind either way.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do going forward and fingers crossed that you find the perfect job for yourself :o

JC
    Benjamin Franklin
  • mentorkeith
    mentorkeith Registered Posts: 74 Epic contributor 🐘
    Thanks Jo

Did you notice that I said I was 54? I only have around 10 years before I have to retire. Time is not on my side for getting further qualifications and/or progressing through a Company. My goal is to seek employment during the day times and study (at home) level 4 during the evenings. I need to SOMEHOW fast track into a role which pays me a salary sufficient to cover my retirement. Actually, I feel like I have at least 20 years at top level still left in me. Why are people retired at 65 when prime ministers/presidents often don't start until that age?
  • Jo Clark
    Most welcome Keith :) and a belated welcome from me to the forum. Lovely to see another new person contributing and helping students.

Yes I did notice :001_tongue: I appreciate your position and you may want to retire in 10 years, however who says you have to? Have you considered being self employed? You could complete level 4 AAT and then become a MIP. Lots of MIPs on this forum who you could ask questions of and a great MIP team should you decide to go that way. Be your own boss! Or become an AAT tutor :D

Lots of possibilities for you to investigate and consider... and the forum will always be here to help/support you with your studies and of course if you decide to become a MIP.

JC
    Benjamin Franklin
Privacy Policy