AAT level 2

dan1983
dan1983 Registered Posts: 33 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Hi can anyone tell me if there is an advantage in completing level 2 as I thought I had to do it but found out you don't, was wondering if I should finish the last 2 or just go onto level 3.
Will I be likely to get a job if I completed level 2??

Comments

• sedindriuke
    sedindriuke Registered Posts: 28 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I think i have decided not to take exams, to leanr the material and move onto level 3 (got some circumstances which can change my decision).

But as an AAT student I think you can get the job - accounts assistant even, as sometimes emploers look for a fresh educated people who are still in the progress with their work experience, they wanna grow up that person in the role and support their training. Sounds ideal yeah...
  • Kelly7
    Kelly7 Registered Posts: 218 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    When I went to college I did a test which found it was most suitable for me to start at level 2, if people had expereince already in accounts they may have been told to start at level 2. It depends on if you have knowledge already but I found it beneficial because it gave me all the background and basics knowledge in BA1 and BA2 but as the person has said above, I don't suppose there is any harm in learning level 2 yourself and then booking in to learn level 3. I think you have to have completed level 3 to do level 4 though.
    x
  • dan1983
    I have completed ba1 & ba2, am halfway through sage (although not acceptable anymore).Going to finish sage and will still study the other 2 but not sure if its beneficial to actually take the exams.
  • Kelly7
    Kelly7 Registered Posts: 218 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I would say if you're looking for a job with it soon then it would beneficial as you can say you have completed your level 2 but if you're not going to look for a job until you've done level 3 then you could probably go straight into level 3 without doing them. x
  • dan1983
    that's what I was thinking, I want to get a job as soon as possible, but what is the likelihood of getting a job with just level 2??
  • Vlee
    Vlee Registered Posts: 136 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Depending how easy you find it, you could easily study WEAF and BC within a week. If you are used to working in an office and have some common sense you only need to do a few practice tests for WEAF. Aparently BC concepts will be covered again at L3 and, apart from issues of inventory, it's basic maths. So from a learning perspective you are ready to start L3 and a college would be fine with that. If you think you can get some L3 exams done soon (perhaps instead of the last two exams) then it will be proof you are progressing and you can show this to an employer, I would've thought. It just depends on whether it's more important to get a piece of paper showing an official qualification or to save time and money by going for L3 now.
  • sedindriuke
    Great answer Vlee and especially ''It just depends on whether it's more important to get a piece of paper showing an official qualification or to save time and money by going for L3 now.''
  • Vlee
    Oh and experience is absolutely necessary. Aparently it's pretty tough out their so L2 with experience is better than L4 without. Just based on what I've been advised.
  • dan1983
    is it worth the ยฃ400 its going to cost me just to get level 2 certificate, wish I would of known from the start, because if I don't finish it feel like i've wasted ยฃ160 it cost to do the 2 exams.
    Also im not coming from an office background, I have been a self employed plumber for the last 9 years.
  • sedindriuke
    I am in better situation.. i made my first exam today. But I still buy books to learn but not gonna pay for exams;
    do not think that you wasted money, You have learnt many new crucial things which will be a base for level 3 and 4. If you do level 3 course soon and take an exam, so you will be much more educated/qualified than with just all level 2 exams (common sense, without knowledge and skill you wouldnt pass level 3, so the employer should know that level 3 is higher and that you have knowledge for that level).

I understand your disappointment, me too .. i have two degrees and wanna get a qualification and be able to suggest myself in the market with something tangible..
  • sedindriuke
    Dan, why you didnt bought Computerized Accounting book with CD trial and then thinking about exam of CA? And you chose a certificate from SAGE?
    I know about this pathway but today in the assesment center i met a girl who were taking CA exam and she was studying from KAPLAN book (self studying), so i really got confused... (books are not so expensive, then just exams adds up)
  • dan1983
    im not gutted for studying level 2 as I still would of done the studying but just wouldn't of paid the ยฃ80 for each exam...
  • sedindriuke
    Yes it is really painful to pay... I was said the exam costs 70 pounds and today i had to pay 75... it was pain..
  • dan1983
    Dan, why you didnt bought Computerized Accounting book with CD trial and then thinking about exam of CA? And you chose a certificate from SAGE?
    I know about this pathway but today in the assesment center i met a girl who were taking CA exam and she was studying from KAPLAN book (self studying), so i really got confused... (books are not so expensive, then just exams adds up)
    What is computerised accounting book with cd???
    I checked Kaplan and for the CA module they want ยฃ250.00 then the other 2 exams I would need to complete level 2 at ยฃ77 each adds up to just over ยฃ400 without the cost of travelling to the exams(London)...
    I chose the sage certificate as it was only ยฃ100.00 and I could add it to my c.v
  • Vlee
    ยฃ80 is very expensive. Kaplan are ยฃ53 per exam at L3 so find out if there is a Kaplan or BPP (I think they are the same price) near you.

From what I've been told, including by a tutor yesterday, you need experience to be successful in the job market. You might be lucky and find something anyway but it's a tough market and you'll be up against people with experience or school leavers willing to work for very little. I'm a teeny bit older but with lots of office experience, unfortunately not in accounting. So far I have two voluntary jobs lined up which include potential to become deputy treasurer. I'm also planning to do work placements - calling local firms and using my own contacts to set them up. I suspect a lot of people will do the same and you'll be up against them. I'm guessing you do your own accounts which is a great start but if you can get some office experience it should pay off.

As for the L2 v L3 it's up to you whether you pay more to complete it or cut your losses and crack on with L3 alongside building up your experience. It is tricky and it may be worth while speaking to likely employers or agencies to see what they expect of candidates.
  • sedindriuke
    But the point is if you are on level 3, so one more level and you are qualified (theoretically), so it seems for emploer that you done level 2 or was smart and had basic knowledge to skip it. So i do not see the problem then to take a shorter path.

Yes job market is tough... painful topic..

Kaplan in Glasgow I believe would be the same - cheaper, but i need to travel from Aberdeen.. Yes i can find megabus ticket for 1 pound maybe.. but i need to spend all the day for travelling only..
  • sedindriuke
    She said she got trial for 30 days. Really i wasnt sure .. she mentioned that she bought everythin from training provider, she do not have tutor, do self studying... but paid courses fees...
  • dan1983
    Vlee wrote: ยป
    ยฃ80 is very expensive. Kaplan are ยฃ53 per exam at L3 so find out if there is a Kaplan or BPP (I think they are the same price) near you.

From what I've been told, including by a tutor yesterday, you need experience to be successful in the job market. You might be lucky and find something anyway but it's a tough market and you'll be up against people with experience or school leavers willing to work for very little. I'm a teeny bit older but with lots of office experience, unfortunately not in accounting. So far I have two voluntary jobs lined up which include potential to become deputy treasurer. I'm also planning to do work placements - calling local firms and using my own contacts to set them up. I suspect a lot of people will do the same and you'll be up against them. I'm guessing you do your own accounts which is a great start but if you can get some office experience it should pay off.

As for the L2 v L3 it's up to you whether you pay more to complete it or cut your losses and crack on with L3 alongside building up your experience. It is tricky and it may be worth while speaking to likely employers or agencies to see what they expect of candidates.
    There is a Kaplan within 10 miles of me but would need to travel into London using train and underground which would cost about ยฃ19, the place I use I can drive to and can book choosing date and time that suits me.
    I have 2 years office experience but was about 10 years ago, I worked in insurance.
Privacy Policy