New Syllabus - Right choice

allensa
allensa Registered Posts: 1 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
I have just finished my level 2 and am going onto level 3. I have decided to continue on the old syllabus as I have read that you can not take any new CBT until 1st October and I would hope to be a few units through the level by October. Is anyone else in the same situation and what have you decided on?

Comments

• Vlee
    Vlee Registered Posts: 136 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hello

I posted about this issue recently and I'm hoping to get stuck in to the old syllabus. PEAF is changing to a computer based project instead of a simple test and Cash Management is being dropped and only included as a optional module for L4. I also have books which are only valid until the end of this year. As long as you are able to finish by December 2014 it should be fine. I think I could do four or five modules by October so that's an even bigger reason to stick with the old.

So get stuck in and good luck!
  • jim jam
    jim jam Registered Posts: 7 Regular contributor โญ
    What are changes in new levels

i am planning to start L3 soon. its going to be a selfstudy without a training provider. where did you find out the syllabus are changing? i am not sure its a good or bad think for a new starter. if you can give me more information, it ยดll be great such as;
    What are the new syllabus for L3 and L4?
    when is the change deadline ?
    how would it effect my selfstudy plan ... do i have to use new books or it will be okay with last years book(2012)
    many thanks for all answers

cheers!!!
  • Vlee
    This may help a little but not with the nitty gritty of the syllabus changes. You need to start before September 2013 and finish by December 2014.

http://www.bpp.com/delegate/r/content/AAT_New_Standards_Guidance.pdf
  • caroline23
    caroline23 Registered Posts: 53 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Can i just double check what happens if you are doing level 3 self study? as i am starting it in july by just buying the books so if i sit 1 level 3 exam before sept 2013 does that mean i can stay on the 2010 assesments all through level 3?
  • Vlee
    My plan is to sit a few exams before September but I don't know the official line. I'm also look to sit PEAF as one of the first as that is changing. AAT seem helpful if you give them a call on this issue. According to Kaplan if you have cash management or PEAF you are recommended to continue the current syllabus. If not they may move you to the new one.
  • caroline23
    caroline23 Registered Posts: 53 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    thanks thats what i am planning on doing first to so i dont have to do it as a project! lol
  • wannabebean
    wannabebean Registered Posts: 72 Regular contributor โญ
    I have one exam left to do at Level 4 (BTX)

If I were doing it again:

I did mine thus (Level 4)

Budgeting
    ICAS
    FNPF
    FNST
    Personal
    BTX (left to do)

If I was doing the whole thing again:

LEVEL 3

I would do:

Spreadsheet Software first (rather than last)
    Cash Management
    Professional Ethics
    Indirect Tax
    Sole Trader and Partnership Accounts
    Costs and Revenues

Thats the way I did it first time except I left Spreadsheets to last. This caused a delay between finishing level 3 and starting Level 4. Try to avoid this delay.
    From the above - Level 4

Straight into

Bugeting then
    FNPF
    FNST
    ICAS

BREAK

PERSONAL
    BUSINESS

If you want to be really ambitious go straight from Costs and Revenues into FNPF. Or if you are super ambitious do API and APII last and go straight into FNST!

Basically, FNPF and Budgeting follows on from Costs and Revenues and FNST follows on from API and APII.

It is difficlut, though, to do level 3 and finish on API and APII, I suppose.

Perhaps then:

Start Level 3 on super easy Professional Ethics then get Spread-Sheets out of the way. Then get to the heart of book-keeping with API and APII. Then do Cash Management then VAT then the hardest Level 3 - Costs and Reveues then straight to Level 4 FNPF. Chill out next with Budgeting before the big step to FNST. Relax with ICAS before the straightforward Personal Tax and finish with harder BTX.

The important point is try to move straight into FNPF or FNST. They are noth quite difficult and you will find it much easier doing one of them if there is a natural swift progression. Some of the FNPF stuff is basically the same as Costs and Revenues :) Some of the FNST stuff will be alot easier coming from API and APII. FNST is the hardest by far.

BTW I would do Cash Management now at level 3. You will have enough to do at Level 4. Cash Management is very straightforward and you should just get it out of the way.
  • Vlee
    Thanks for that WBB, it's similar to what I was thinking and I'm glad to hear cash management isn't a tough module. It sounds like C&R, AP1 and AP2 are the tricky ones.
Privacy Policy