Starting Level 4 early to stay on old syllabus?

Countrybumpkin
Countrybumpkin Registered Posts: 52 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Hi,

I'm almost half way through my Level 3 studies with Cash Management (due to sit in couple of weeks) Indirect Tax, Spreadsheets and PEAF to go and with the new syllabus due to come into effect from early September i'm wondering what my best options are.

At the moment I'm thinking should I study Indirect tax after Cash management then jump to Level 4 and sit a tax module from there to 'register' myself under the old syllabus, then I would probably return to Level 3 and complete my outstanding modules before returning to complete Level 4.

Is anyone lese thinking of doing this or am I worrying over nothing and should I stick with Level 3 and study Level 4 under the new syllabus? I rang aat today and basically they said I can do whatever I feel is best for me :001_unsure:

I would love to hear your thoughts.TIA

Comments

• Kris1990
    Kris1990 Registered Posts: 52 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Hi Countrybumpkin

I'm in a similar situation myself, I'm sitting PEAF tomorrow and CRS on 5th August, if I pass both I'll have finished level 3 a month before the syllabus changes. I'm probably going to sit level 4 on the new syllabus, I just hope there's not too many problems with it.

As for what you said above, don't you need to complete level 3 before starting level 4? I thought level 3 was an entry requirement to level 4 but I may be wrong.
  • Countrybumpkin
    Hi Kris, I also thought I had to sit level 3 before 4 but when I spoke to aat yesterday they said I can sit both level 3 and 4 at the same time, mix and match.

Can I ask your reasons behind opting to sit the new syllabus?
  • CharlotteS
    CharlotteS Registered Posts: 26 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I just have peaf left to sit and was planning to do that soon so I can have a break for the whole of august before starting on level 4 in September. A lot of people seem to be wanting to rush and start before september to stay on the old syllabus, but personally I would rather do the new one so that my knowledge is as up to date as possible.
  • steve2008
    steve2008 Registered Posts: 89 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    For level 4 there didnt seem to be much changed other than the introduction of an extra optional module as far as i remember. I'm planning on finishing level 3 and waiting till sept before starting level 4. i might do a bit of studying towards a module in level 4 but it makes sense to wait if there is not much different.
  • taraskyn
    taraskyn Registered Posts: 41 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I am too about to finish level 3 this week. But as know it does not matter when you want to start next level before or after September. It's up to you. The thing is if you start next level on old syllabus you will have to finish it by December 2014 strict. If you won't you will be transferred to new system automatically and you might need to resit some additional mini exams to comply with changes in a new program.
    For level 4 there is no much difference. But I am not sure how Cash Management will be treated as on new syllabus it is an optional subject now.

Read here: http://www.bpp.com/professional-qualifications-course/aat
  • Countrybumpkin
    Thanks for your replies. As I understand it (but please correct me if i'm wrong), if you want to sit level 4 on the old syllabus you have to register with a training provider or sit an exam (if self studying) before September. Reasons for doing this: plenty practice papers, no teething problems, plenty of advice on here, can decide to transfer over to new syllabus if you want to etc etc.

I you opt to sit the level 4 on new syllabus you have limited practice papers, you may have to delay your studies/study in a different order as you can not sit some papers straight away, acting as guinea pigs, if you want cash management as optional module you will have to sit it again.

I'm still not sure what to do but really appreciate all your thoughts.
  • mrderek88
    mrderek88 Registered Posts: 44 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I've just started Level 4 (this Monday past) and was told at the time of registering that once the new syllabus comes into effect, you have until December 2014 to complete it on the old one before you are forced to switch over. Im sure this is plenty of time to complete LV 4 - or so Im hoping! She also said I can opt into change once it comes into effect so Ill wait until September to make my mind up!!

My tutor never went into great details about the actual changes that the new syllabus will intoduce but by what she did say, I dont think there are too many.
  • Kris1990
    Thanks for your replies. As I understand it (but please correct me if i'm wrong), if you want to sit level 4 on the old syllabus you have to register with a training provider or sit an exam (if self studying) before September. Reasons for doing this: plenty practice papers, no teething problems, plenty of advice on here, can decide to transfer over to new syllabus if you want to etc etc.

I you opt to sit the level 4 on new syllabus you have limited practice papers, you may have to delay your studies/study in a different order as you can not sit some papers straight away, acting as guinea pigs, if you want cash management as optional module you will have to sit it again.

I'm still not sure what to do but really appreciate all your thoughts.

You made me change my mind :cool2: I'm going to start level 4 on the old syllabus, it's seems like a no brainer when you put it like that.
  • Countrybumpkin
    Really Kris!? Congratulations on passing PEAF! Do you plan to continue with CRS then go straight onto level 4 or are you going to sit a level 4 early then go back and finish CRS?
  • Kris1990
    Cheers. Yes, I've already booked my CRS exam (5th August). I've checked the dates of BPP's online classroom for Budgeting and they start on 15th August so providing I pass CRS, it should work out nicely.
  • Countrybumpkin
    That should work out really well! Good luck with it all.
Privacy Policy