What next after AAT?

geek84
geek84 Registered Posts: 568 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Good Morning folks

In your opinion, what is the most popular choice for students in regards to what to do next after completing the AAT?

1. Go on to study the ACCA or CIMA or something similar?

2. Become a MIP?

3. Get an accounts related job such as sales/purchase ledger clerk or accounts assistant?

Thanks

Comments

• James Patterson
    James Patterson Registered Posts: 281
    Good morning Geek84,

I personally intend to go onto CIMA hopefully while working in a accounts assistant position who provide study support.

I don't see a reason why you shouldn't become an MIP, it will make you keep refreshing your knowledge on AAt which is good, as you can easily lose what you learnt over a few years.

It depends on your personal ambition i suppose, i would like to go into management accountancy at some point, although i am young so i don't know when ill achieve that, so CIMA is ideal for me.

So why not all 3? haha

Hope this helps!
  • geek84
    Thanks James
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    geek84 wrote: ยป
    Good Morning folks

In your opinion, what is the most popular choice for students in regards to what to do next after completing the AAT?

1. Go on to study the ACCA or CIMA or something similar?

2. Become a MIP?

3. Get an accounts related job such as sales/purchase ledger clerk or accounts assistant?

Thanks

I have continued with further study... I think ultimately it is down to what each person wants to do and where they see themselves in the future.

Have you completed AAT now Manjinder? What are your current thoughts on what you will do next?

JC
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • geek84
    Hi Jo

I have done all the exams for the AAT and just waiting for 2 exam results. I don't want to carry on with acca or cima since it would involve another 3 or 4 years of study.

I am more inclined to stop at aat and get a job. So at present, while waiting for the results, I am trying to gather as much knowledge as possible, of what my options are available to me, if I stop studying after aat.
  • CeeJaySix
    CeeJaySix Registered Posts: 645
    As mentioned above, it really depends on the career you want to go into. If financial accountancy is where you see yourself, I'd be inclined to agree with your plan, stop now and get yourself into a practice that will put you through ACA/ACCA; or if management accountancy's your thing like James, get into a company as a finance assistant and go CIMA. If you want to set up on your own, AAT by itself is sufficient, as proven by the number of MIPs. I'm studying AAT as a pre-requisite to ACA as I'm not a graduate and my firm insists on it (plus from speaking to others, it seems to be a big advantage when going onto chartered study), and I want to progress in my practice. As to what the most popular progression is, I don't think you could say there is one - the next step very much depends on where you're going...?
  • SamiH
    SamiH Registered Posts: 179 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I'm currently in a study-supported accounting role, and we have both ACCA and CIMA coming in to see us at work so they can both tell us "why they are the best choice".

I have been telling everyone for ages that CIMA will be my next step, but I will give ACCA a good chance to put their case forward. I'll go with whatever I feel is best for me.
Privacy Policy