AAT Qualified i think?

omega man
omega man Registered Posts: 283
I have just received an e-mail from the AAT saying i am now AAT qualified and deemed an affiliate member.

I wonder what that means? and they would like me to apply for full membership.

I will not be applying as i do not have the 12 months experience, which needs to be relatively recent and up to date, mine is too old. Also, i am not working so i cannot reclaim the fee on my tax return.

I will have to wait until i am working and apply then, which means i will not be paying my AAT fee from September.

I am also not doing ACCA or CIMA as i regard myself too old at 52yrs but i will be doing sage payroll with sage themselves.

I have a meeting with jobcentre plus on friday and they will want me to start looking for a job as if its a full time job, so going from applying for 3 jobs a week to 15-20, this is after 2 yrs on work programme.

Comments

• Vlee
    Vlee Registered Posts: 136 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Congratulations! I hope you find work soon and don't feel too old to continue your studies, you have a possible 20 years of working life left, so if you enjoy it and can get funding do what you want, preferably sponsored by an employer. If you can do a little voluntary work or work placements go for it too, it will help build up experience for your CV, can be used for your AAT membership and will build your confidence - well that's my plan after three years and counting at home with my children and no accountancy experience.

Good luck!
  • mentorkeith
    mentorkeith Registered Posts: 74 Epic contributor 🐘
    omega man wrote: »
    I have just received an e-mail from the AAT saying i am now AAT qualified and deemed an affiliate member.

I wonder what that means? and they would like me to apply for full membership.

I will not be applying as i do not have the 12 months experience, which needs to be relatively recent and up to date, mine is too old. Also, i am not working so i cannot reclaim the fee on my tax return.

I will have to wait until i am working and apply then, which means i will not be paying my AAT fee from September.

I am also not doing ACCA or CIMA as i regard myself too old at 52yrs but i will be doing sage payroll with sage themselves.

I have a meeting with jobcentre plus on friday and they will want me to start looking for a job as if its a full time job, so going from applying for 3 jobs a week to 15-20, this is after 2 yrs on work programme.

Hi Omega Man

I am 54 and in the same boat as you. Tell me about it!

I thought that there is now no discrimination against older employees. The truth of the matter is that employers think that we are past it when we reach 50. If that is the case, how is it that Prime Ministers and Presidents are generally too young at that age? The fact is that we have a wealth of experience to offer and a lot of energy to give (if we have kept ourselves fit) and have learnt character including dedication, loyalty, determination, resolve. The fact that we have taken the steps to go back to college and pass with flying colours DOES show our determination and energy.

Maybe we can help each other back to work?
  • omega man
    omega man Registered Posts: 283
    Vlee and mentorkeith - As you are both in London it will easier for both of you to find some form of work placement or something. I am stuck in central uk in Wolverhampton, although i have ideas of moving to Brighton on a council to council move. A work placement for me is the next obvious step but they are like golddust.
Privacy Policy