Unhappy with AAT tutor

selina
selina Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
Hi everyone

Doe's anybody know how to make a complaint against the college i,m studying at , part way through our AAT course (level 2 ) All our tutors left leaving us high and dry , the college went through a succession of unsatisfactory tutors , causing us no end of problems , the majority of us managed to pass the level 2 accounting exam but the tutor they finally hired for sage is really sub standard , she has no teaching strategy she is confusing , and she shows clear favouristism to certain students in the class , I have failed my sage exam yet I passed all my other exam first time no worries. The college have said they will pay for exam resits as it was their fault because of the mess up with tutors, but they are only offering 2 revision days which is highly unlikely to get me through my sage exam , and the revision lessons are with the sub standard tutor ...any advice would be brilliant.

Comments

• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    selina wrote: »
    Hi everyone

Doe's anybody know how to make a complaint against the college i,m studying at , part way through our AAT course (level 2 ) All our tutors left leaving us high and dry , the college went through a succession of unsatisfactory tutors , causing us no end of problems , the majority of us managed to pass the level 2 accounting exam but the tutor they finally hired for sage is really sub standard , she has no teaching strategy she is confusing , and she shows clear favouristism to certain students in the class , I have failed my sage exam yet I passed all my other exam first time no worries. The college have said they will pay for exam resits as it was their fault because of the mess up with tutors, but they are only offering 2 revision days which is highly unlikely to get me through my sage exam , and the revision lessons are with the sub standard tutor ...any advice would be brilliant.

Hello Selina

Sorry to hear of the problems you have been encountering. Do you know if your college has a governing body or board? You could try writing to them detailing your concerns etc.

I'm not sure what else to advise at the moment, hopefully others will reply with some suggestions.

Hope this is resolved for you swiftly.

JC :o
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    The college should have a complaints procedure which you can follow.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Passing your other exams but failing the Sage one means nothing on its own. More importantly, does anyone else feel the same way you do? I suspect that public majority and results will rule... by that I mean that if most people did successfully pass their Sage exam, then your case will certainly be weakened and vice versa.

When I did Foundation level (level 2) back in 2004, our tutor was new and at times, her inexperience of being a teacher shone through... but NOT her inexperience of her subject. The two shouldn't be confused. However, most of us passed as far as I know and of those that didn't, it probably wasn't because of the tutor but rather down to lack of effort and revision. By now, eight years later, I imagine she's a brilliant tutor.

Please note, this is not necessarily what I'm accusing you of. Of course, the alternative is that the colleges don't employ any inexperienced tutors at all and there would be far less classes. Besides, all tutors were inexperienced at some point.
  • selina
    selina Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Thanks JC and Coojee I will look into that , Robert I am not the only who failed the Sage , they were actually expecting us to fail because of the mess around with tutors hence why they made financial provisions for our resits , I am also not the only one who feels this way , the tutor in question has been asked to change her teaching strategy as they sat in on her class and realized there would be problems !!! I'm not saying it is totally the tutors fault, she is knowledgeable with Sage and a nice lady but her teaching methods are confusing and myself and others in the class found it very hard to get a handle on Sage with her. It is actually not her fault the blame lies with the college who obviously has issues with the original tutors forcing them to leave .
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I have had 3 years at college with tutors leaving, college messing up exams and not liking the way of being taught. As the others say there will be a complaint procedure to go through but be sure that's what you want to do as the if it gets to the AAT stage they could loose the ability to teach the course and would mean a lot of hardship for others.

We had a teacher left whilst doing Sage and Spreadsheets and to be honest we all taught each other as the books were pretty self explanatory. I would say a free resit is very reasonable.
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Where are you in the country?

There are some good tutors around. And some will travel to your college or area and run classes. Your college may be prepared to agree to that.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
Privacy Policy