Is it possible for an AAT qualified student to become a Financial Contoller

geek84
geek84 Registered Posts: 568 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Hi Folks

Do you know if it possible for an AAT qualified student to become a Financial Contoller of a company without having to take further qualifications?

Thanks

Comments

• James Patterson
    James Patterson Registered Posts: 281
    As far as i'm aware most financial controllers have a BA in accounting, but i think the role is based on experience.

To be a good candidate its reasonable to be AAT qualified and with a lot of experience in a suitable feeder role.

Not unfeasable at all.

Hope this helps
  • jenny3549
    jenny3549 Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    geek84 wrote: ยป
    Hi Folks

Do you know if it possible for an AAT qualified student to become a Financial Contoller of a company without having to take further qualifications?

Thanks

Of course it is - provided you have the relevant experience! There are plenty of QBE (Qualified by Experience) accountants out there in very good positions who have no qualifications at all. As always, there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to things like this.
  • geek84
    Thanks for your replies.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Financial Controller is a job title I most associate with QBE's who are often wary of putting the word 'Accountant' in their titles (since they're technically unqualified by examination). They may often also have a wider knowledge of their industry - e.g. engineering or manufacturing - not just in the finance apects of it.

Having said that, although Financial Controllers are unqualified by examination that doesn't necessarily mean they are inferior to qualified accountants... usually they will have years, if not decades, of experience and can often be considered experts in their fields/industries.
  • jenny3549
    jenny3549 Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Financial Controller is a job title I most associate with QBE's who are often wary of putting the word 'Accountant' in their titles (since they're technically unqualified by examination). They may often also have a wider knowledge of their industry - e.g. engineering or manufacturing - not just in the finance apects of it.

Having said that, although Financial Controllers are unqualified by examination that doesn't necessarily mean they are inferior to qualified accountants... usually they will have years, if not decades, of experience and can often be considered experts in their fields/industries.

That's me! (Although my business card says Accountant). :o
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I'm an FC and only AAT qualified (I am a licensed MiP too!)
  • geek84
    Hi Gem7321

Thanks for you reply.

I hope you don't mind me asking but did you have to sit any further exams/tests/assessments before qualifying as a Financial Controller, or is it that you have been in the accountancy/finance field for many many years and so could be classified as 'qualified by experience'?

Thanks in advance for your response.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Like I said, I'm only AAT qualified. I started studying ATT but found I didn't have the time to commit to it.

I had been working in practice for 7 years and ran my own small practice (even smaller now as my current role is full time). I had worked with many clients in several aspects of accountancy; this combined with the fact that I had the knowledge of running and managing my own business made me a good candidate for FC.

My employers performed some skills checks at the interview stage (ie. what's wrong with these invoices?) but otherwise I have not had to do anything further than AAT. My employers had taken some advice from their accountant in recruiting for the role and the job description specifically advertised for AAT qualifieds.

I think at some stage I would like to take further qualifications but I imagine it will be ATT VAT and Business Compliance rather than CIMA/ACCA.
  • geek84
    Thanks Gem7321
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Financial Controller is a job title I most associate with QBE's who are often wary of putting the word 'Accountant' in their titles (since they're technically unqualified by examination).

I've worked with/known several Financial Controllers and have been one my self, all of us were qualified ACCA/CIMA when we took on the role/title as had our predecessors.

But to go back to the original question, yes you can become an FC with AAT. In one of my first roles, the FC was AAT qualified with a good deal of experience. He earned a salary in line with CCAB qualified accountants a in similar roles and his knowledge and skill was excellent.

Neil
Privacy Policy