Does anyone have any experience of teaching accounting at GCSE/A-Level?

Gem7321
Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
I'm seriously considering a change of career and found myself daydreaming of teaching GCSE Accounting PT whilst running my practice PT.

Does anyone have any experience of this? If so can I ask how you got in to teaching?

It seems to me the accounting GCSE is not all that popular and accounting as a subject is not available by the EBITT route and would like to avoid forking-out uni fees.

Any comments welcome.

Comments

• coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    Gem7321 wrote: Β»
    I'm seriously considering a change of career and found myself daydreaming of teaching GCSE Accounting PT whilst running my practice PT.

Does anyone have any experience of this? If so can I ask how you got in to teaching?

It seems to me the accounting GCSE is not all that popular and accounting as a subject is not available by the EBITT route and would like to avoid forking-out uni fees.

Any comments welcome.

No experience of teaching to GCSE level but I imagine you would need to be a qualified teacher. Pretty much everywhere now demands QTS apart from the private sector. I know when I was going for a job in FE to teach AAT they required me to either already have QTS or be training towards it.
  • Gem7321
    Thanks coojee

Yes I think you do have to have QTS but I'm not sure the best way to go about it when it's not available by the employment-based route.

I was wondering if perhaps it might be beneficial to do the EBITT but in a subject such as business studies which is related but this isn't available at any schools in my area. I couldn't afford to give up work completely to study full time via the uni route but I also don't want to spend 3 years studying part time.

It's mind boggling!
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    Gem7321 wrote: Β»
    Thanks coojee

Yes I think you do have to have QTS but I'm not sure the best way to go about it when it's not available by the employment-based route.

I was wondering if perhaps it might be beneficial to do the EBITT but in a subject such as business studies which is related but this isn't available at any schools in my area. I couldn't afford to give up work completely to study full time via the uni route but I also don't want to spend 3 years studying part time.

It's mind boggling!

Sorry, I didn't realise what EBITT was. I only know that when I was looking the cost of the course was way in excess of what I'd be earning and the college weren't offering to pay for the course for me so it wasn't worth me doing it. Seemed a bit daft to me at the time to offer someone part time work earning about Β£3000 a year and then ask them to pay over Β£4000 (as it was then) to do the teacher training. Things have obviously moved on a bit since then
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I teach AAT accounting to adults. I do not have QTS. I have PTLLS status.
  • Gem7321
    Thanks TC

Can I ask how you studied PTLLS? How long did it take to get this status?
  • T.C.
    I did an intensive 2 week course once I got the job, ie they paid for it!
  • ademoore
    ademoore Registered Posts: 146 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I did PTTLS too - a course over 12 weeks, quite a bit of work but well worth it, I learnt loads!
  • T.C.
    I agree with ademoore. There was alot of work. I did the intensive course, but the homework lasted alot longer than 2 weeks. I was amazed at what I learned too!
    (FMAAT, MIP and Tutor for levels 2 and 3)
Privacy Policy