accounting tehnician vs accountant

Options
AATnovice
AATnovice Registered Posts: 46 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
what is the difference?

just while we are here, what is the difference between an accountant and a chartered accountant?

many thanks in advance

Comments

• sonya11
    sonya11 Registered Posts: 27 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    theoretically anyone can be an accountant, if that's what your job title says you are. To be a chartered accountant you need to have either CIMA/ACA/ACCA

I believe this is correct, I'm sure someone will put me right if not
  • CeeJaySix
    CeeJaySix Registered Posts: 645
    Options
    Google 'accounting vs accountancy'...it's not a well-defined difference, but accounting seems to be the skill of keeping and preparing accounts, whereas accountancy goes beyond that to encompass interpretation, consulting, advising etc. For example, a bookkeeper uses accounting, but not accountancy. I think :blushing:
  • stevef
    stevef Registered Posts: 258 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    theoretically anyone can be an accountant, if that's what your job title says you are. To be a chartered accountant you need to have either CIMA/ACA/ACCA

I believe this is correct, I'm sure someone will put me right if not

or CIPFA!
  • Kelly7
    Kelly7 Registered Posts: 218 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I have wondered this too when my teacher told me she'd originally wanted to be a chartered accountant.

On this sort of subject, I do see a lot of ppl talk about about cima and acca but what sort of training do these do and what do they lead to?

Thank you. X
  • CeeJaySix
    CeeJaySix Registered Posts: 645
    Options
    If you look up the various bodies websites they will give you a better idea. Essentially it's progression, AAT is like A-levels (although by academic standards level 4 is higher than A-levels), whereas the chartered/certified quals are degree/masters level. So you're qualified to a higher standard and qualified to do more things. Whether or not having the qualificatiis of benefit to you depends on what you want to do in accountancy.
Privacy Policy