Some good news!!

Sam22
Sam22 Registered Posts: 117 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
Hello everyone,

I am just starting level 4 and have been applying for jobs left right and centre since April. I've had 2 interviews out of the 100s of applications I've sent off. One of those was Monday just gone and yesterday they offered me the job!!

Finally all my hard to work is paying off and I can start my career!!

Just wanted to share with my fellow AATers my excitement!

Comments

• auroosa
    auroosa Registered Posts: 2 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    congratulations :thumbup1:
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Sam22 wrote: ยป
    Hello everyone,

I am just starting level 4 and have been applying for jobs left right and centre since April. I've had 2 interviews out of the 100s of applications I've sent off. One of those was Monday just gone and yesterday they offered me the job!!

Finally all my hard to work is paying off and I can start my career!!

Just wanted to share with my fellow AATers my excitement!

That is fantastic news Sam - hope you are going to celebrate!
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Sam22
    That is fantastic news Sam - hope you are going to celebrate!

Oh yes I will be for sure!!
    So excited but so nervous at the same time!!
  • Jo Clark
    Sam22 wrote: ยป
    Oh yes I will be for sure!!
    So excited but so nervous at the same time!!

Great :D It is natural to be nervous, however they gave the job to the candidate they thought most suitable... I am sure you will be fine. Do let us know how it goes when you start!... your first day will be very exciting :o
    Benjamin Franklin
  • SamiH
    SamiH Registered Posts: 179 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Brilliant news, congrats :)
  • Kris1990
    Kris1990 Registered Posts: 52 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Congrats :thumbup1:
  • omega man
    omega man Registered Posts: 283
    Well done Sam where are you based?
    Maybe i could contact the company and tell them i am AAT qualified and pinch the job from under your nose, lol, just joking m8.
  • Sam22
    Haha, based in Maidstone in Kent!

Are you not having a lot if luck job hunting Omega Man?
  • omega man
    omega man Registered Posts: 283
    No i am not having any luck no interviews for over a year.
  • Sam22
    It's so tough, I really do sympathise. It was the same for me.
    Do you make follow up calls a few days after you've sent applications off? I started to find that once people had actually spoken to me they were more inclined to pass my CV onto their client.

I also spent a lot of time researching cover letters, I know that may sound like a silly thing to do, but I found that people are more likely to make a judgement from the cover letter. It's like you're selling a product to a customer, you need to make that employer feel like they need to hire you. I started closing my letters by saying something along the lines of 'I truly believe that I am the best candidate for this position and I'm immediately available to come for an interview to demonstrate this further.'

Good luck and don't give up!!
  • Jo Clark
    Very true Sam, you need to sell yourself as that is what other candidates are doing. I've sent you a pm Sam.
    Benjamin Franklin
  • emuratty
    emuratty Registered Posts: 66 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I would definitely agree about the covering letter. Employers get inundated with applications and you need to give them a reason to look at your cv.

I advertised a basic level part time admin job recently and in a few days I had well over a hundred applications and had to pull the ad early. I had asked for a covering letter in my ad so the first thing I did was discount anyone who hadn't included one. Then I discounted those with a one or two sentence email as that isn't a covering letter. Next I discounted those with spelling mistakes or typos - this was an admin job after all. Only then did I look at cvs. I shortlisted based those people whose skills met what I had asked for in my ad, after all I had lots of applications to choose from so I could pick the best 5 or 6 to interview.

So my advice would be to make sure you have a great covering letter, but not too long, making sure you highlight the relevant skills needed for the job you're applying for, and why you want to work for them. Make sure your cv is up to scratch with no unexplained gaps in employment etc. You can also ask for feedback when you don't get shortlisted, you might not get it but it doesn't hurt to ask. Always ask for feedback after an interview. You might not like the feedback you get, but it will help you next time.

Good luck
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    My Dad once told me to put something like "I look forward to hearing from you" at the end of the covering letter, he said that way they'd feel more obliged to reply because I'd told them I was waiting to hear from them. I don't know if it works or not but I always do it even if it's nothing to do with jobs. If it's a complaint letter I tend to say something like, "I await your reply"
  • shalinisharma
    shalinisharma Registered Posts: 25 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Congrats:-)
Privacy Policy