Should I go for chartered??

Suejw
Suejw Registered Posts: 39 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi Everyone, I am just beginning my new self employment career. My question to you all is, how far are we able to go? I am AAT qualified, can I do all accounts for sole traders and partnerships? Should I go down the chartered route? Would it be a benefit? I am considering going for it would value some sound advice from others.

Comments

• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Hello Sue

If you study with the ACCA, you are limited in what work you can undertake whilst studying. I don't have all the details as not following that route myself, however I am sure someone else will reply or a search of the forum will provide you with the answer.

JC :o
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Suejw
    thanks for that, what kind of work do you do?
  • Suejw
    I have now searched for ACCA etc as suggested. I think that after reading some of the stuff on here, I would be better off just concentrating on business & forgetting ACCA or ACA, a lot of hassle and not a lot of point in my situation. I would still be interested to know what kind of work others of you undertake if you wouldn't mind sharing with me. Thanks
  • Jo Clark
    Have you considered studying ATT?
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Jo Clark
    Have you considered studying for ATT?
    Benjamin Franklin
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Being self-employed, the ACCA/ACA route was not available to me so I did ATT and then CTA.

I highly recommend ATT for any self-employed MIP.
  • Suejw
    Thanks for the advice, I will have a look at that option, I suppose that is the one area all clients need you for isn't it?
  • jamesm96
    jamesm96 Registered Posts: 523
    Suejw wrote: Β»
    can I do all accounts for sole traders and partnerships?

You can do whatever your MIP licence covers you for; which would require that you demonstrate to the AAT that you're sufficiently qualified / experienced when you apply for your licence. If you have experience / qualifications in accounts prep' and can satisfy AAT of those when you apply for your Practicing Licence then yeah, absolutely!

In fact, the AAT Practicing Licence can cover a great deal of areas. Mine even covers me for limited Assurance engagements and Charity Independant Examinations! I actually stopped studying ACA after I got PQ because my AAT licence covers me for literally everything that an ACA practicing certificate would have covered, with the exception of full stat' audits, which I have no desire to offer anyway.

I've heard very good things about ATT as Dean mentioned, and Monsoon has extolled their virtues in the past too as there's a great deal on at ATT syllabus which is missed at AAT. I've no experience of ATT though as the ACA's tax papers where robust enough.

If you want a career as an employee in a firm then that might be a different matter, but that's a subject for a whole other thread (and not a new one, either!)

Cheers,

Mike.
Privacy Policy