Membership question - can you help?

StuartW
StuartW Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hi there,

I wonder if one of you might be up for answering this student member's question regarding maintaining his AAT membership? I think it sounds better coming from a member than an employee! :001_smile:

Thanks,

Stuart

Comments

• Nps
    Nps Registered Posts: 782
    I could answer it but I don't think it would be the answer you want him to have! (I'm assuming you'd prefer that everyone renewed their membership every year??)

I have cancelled my AAT membership as I am also an ACCA member but until I am MAAT, I am not eligible for the half price AAT membership. Hence, there was nothing for me to gain from continuing my AAT membership as I couldn't justify the full price.

My understanding is that you retain your membership number and it can just be reactivated in the future. Once I have the experience necessary for MAAT, this is what I intend to do.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    MAAT is a recognised and valued qualification and one you should be proud of. I would suggest retention of both the ACCA and MAAT memberships as they both offer good help and advice. They are both worthwhile qualifications and it always looks good to show them off. I would suggest that you keep up your membership, get your experience and then use the letters after your name.
  • Nps
    T.C. wrote: »
    MAAT is a recognised and valued qualification and one you should be proud of. I would suggest retention of both the ACCA and MAAT memberships as they both offer good help and advice. They are both worthwhile qualifications and it always looks good to show them off. I would suggest that you keep up your membership, get your experience and then use the letters after your name.

My intention is to reactivate it when I have the experience for MAAT status, until then I won't use the membership. I did actually ring up to renew but was only expecting to pay half price fees as I was a member of another accounting body, when they said this wasn't possible until I was MAAT, I decided to cancel.
    I'd still happily pay half price fees but this isn't an option. Unfortunately I have no one to pay my subs, exam fees etc for me, so I have to be brutal about where my money goes!
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Maybe this is where AAT need to "negotiate" a little!
  • Nps
    Yes, I was surprised that I put the phone down having parted with no money. I wasn't even working in accounting at the time so membership really had no benefits for me (that I couldn't get elsewhere anyway).
Privacy Policy