Window for filing self assessment is closed

Options
LynWest
LynWest Registered Posts: 122 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
I have a client who hasn't filed 6 years accounts. She is a very old lady who got into a fix because she couldn't afford the fees a large accountancy practice were charging her and buried her head. I have now filed four of the outstanding rules but 2006/07 and 2007/08 are outstanding. The HMRC website says that the filing window has now closed for these years. The client has not advised me that they are chasing these years. Has anyone been in this situation and if so what do I need to do please? :crying: Many thanks

Comments

• T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I had a client where I had to go back several years. However, the "beyond 6 years" Tax Returns were not required. HMRC simply assessed the tax as they saw fit !!
  • LynWest
    Options
    Thanks TC. Did you need to contact HMRC and ask them to assess or did they just do it please? I have had a look at my clients account and she only has assessments and penalties for the late years that have been filed. She has entered into a payment agreement with HMRC for those years. As far as I can see they have not applied an assessment for these beyond years. I don't want to contact them and stir up a hornets nest if they have overlooked it. However, I don't want to do nothing if it is going to come back on my client. She is well into her 70's and her tax bills have either been non exsistent or very minimal
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    They would not allow me to give them any information. As far as they were concerned, the client had had long enough and they would come to their own conclusions on tax owed etc. I suppose they have a point! My client was just lazy and buried his head in the sand when things got awkward!
    I think I would still ask HMRC to get all the years finalised. At least your client would know where she stands.
  • LynWest
    Options
    Thanks TC. My client is the same, she got into debt, then couldn't afford her previous accountant and buried her head in the sand. I think she got overwhelmed.

Many thanks for your help much appreciated and a big weight off my mind :)
Privacy Policy