Self Studied All The Way - All DONE!

wannabebean
wannabebean Registered Posts: 72 Regular contributor ⭐
Hello People

Thanks to all the help given to me over the years from some of you. It really helped and I am glad I joined this community otherwise I would have stopped at Level 3. As a self study, it can get a bit tiresome with no feedback whatsoever or any tutors.

I was told right at the beginning that it was very difficult to self study AAT. I would say that this is correct. I jumped straight in at Level 3 and passed them all first time in 3 or 4 months. However I had major diffculty organising the Spread-Sheet software project as I did not have a tutor.

I kicked of Level 4 with the ICAS project which I loved and passed after one revision. However, again I found it hard to get organised. Went straight into budgeting and passed first time. I knocked of Financial Performance immediately after. Major stumbling block was Financial Statements. After 7 months I had passed all of level 3 plus ICAS, Financial Performance and budgeting. Fast forward 18 months, when I finally got round to doing Financial Statements! I just kept picking the book up and putting it down again. Awful book, awful subject, awful exam. Passed, with great surprise.

Next came Personal Tax and then finally, could take no more, so did Credit Control last (read the book Saturday, did some practice Questions Sunday, passed exam Monday). Just could not face Business Tax, literally ran out of steam.

So, all exams passed first time in about 2 and half years. About a year and a half delay caused by FS and trying to organise the two projects.

So it can be done folks. Stick at it. Do lots of exam practive questions. I used Osbourne Books. And one little paranoid tip. If you do really well at the practice exams online and the Green Light exams - I think they give you a harder exam when you sit the real thing :)

If I get time I will do business tax - Im sure it count towards CPD? Overall I think I learned alot. I picked up the WHich Tax Guide the other day I it is shocking how little detail it contains and how it could lead you astray if you just relied on it! Take the following gem "Capital gains Tax is really easy to calculate, it's just 28% of your profits" Oh Dear.

It is funny how you change after passing - you no longer HAVE to do the exam. So I look at doing Business Tax as FUN! Just for old times sake!

When I started I thought AAT would be a walk in the park adn had great plans to go on to ACCA. I was wrong. The AAT qualification deserves respect and I believe that it is becoming very highly respected indeed.

Plus, they do produce a lovely certificate - now I just need a nice mahogany frame.

BTW anyone reading this, if you are considering killing me... sorry if you are considering setting up as MIP I would like to hear from you. Message me and we can talk. A machine is more than the sum of its parts.

Cheers all, best of luck and thanks again - Im off to the MEMBERS SECTION. Yipeeeeeee.

Comments

• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Congratulations wannabebean :o
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Dear wannabebean

Very well done. I think a significant minority of AAT studiers would like advice from you. Because colleges tend to be the places where exam candidates have to sit their exams, many students assume that you have to study at that college in order that you can then use it as your exam venue.
    You have proven that this assumption does not have to be true. You had a bit of trouble with Spreadsheets and later trouble with the Project, but you overcame the problems with both. What advice would you give students wanting to qualify using a self-study approach?
    In particular, how do you recommend:-
    1. Finding somewhere to sit the secureassess exams
    2. Finding somewhere to sit Spreadsheets
    3. Finding somewhere to assess your Project

Sandy
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • amyjayne27
    amyjayne27 Registered Posts: 314 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Thanks for this wannabe,

I have self studied the whole way so far so its nice to hear from someone else in the same boat.

I too have found it challenging but also wouldn't change the way I have studied.

Well done for finishing, it must be such an amazing feeling!
  • zippi
    zippi Registered Posts: 182 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    SandyHood wrote: »
    Dear wannabebean

Very well done. I think a significant minority of AAT studiers would like advice from you. Because colleges tend to be the places where exam candidates have to sit their exams, many students assume that you have to study at that college in order that you can then use it as your exam venue.
    You have proven that this assumption does not have to be true. You had a bit of trouble with Spreadsheets and later trouble with the Project, but you overcame the problems with both. What advice would you give students wanting to qualify using a self-study approach?
    In particular, how do you recommend:-
    1. Finding somewhere to sit the secureassess exams
    2. Finding somewhere to sit Spreadsheets
    3. Finding somewhere to assess your Project

Sandy

Well done Wannabebean!:thumbup1:

I would also like to find out regarding the above 3 questions that Sandy has posed. I studied 2 years at a college and due to circumstances have decided to go on my own for level 4, so I would appreciate any help regarding the above. I haven't started as yet but am planning to do soon!

Look forward to hearing from you!
  • Clarekaye
    Clarekaye Registered Posts: 307
    Ahhh someone else who things the same.....if you do well in green light etc they give you a harder exam?! Is that even possible I was adamant one of mine was super hard compared to someone I knew whos sounded super easy?!

Well done for completing them all, I couldn't have got through Level 3 and FNST Level 4 without my tutors support & help (Eagle Education) you should be proper chuffed :thumbup1:
  • Paula333
    Paula333 Registered Posts: 3 New contributor 🐸
    Hi

Can I ask what training provider did you choose for ICAS project? Whas it online, and how much was it?
    Thank you
Privacy Policy