Kaplan v Osbourne Books

cazalino
cazalino Registered Posts: 44 Epic contributor 🐘
For level 3 we used the Osbourne books i found them really clear and easy to understand, the questions were very similar to the papers and i assumed we would be using them for Level 4 however last night i started back and have been told we are using Kaplan :mad2: I hate the Kaplan books even though my only experience is the tutor last year printing out extra questions from the books.

I think i am still going to buy the Osbourne books as i only attend college 1 evening a week so have to go with what suits me.

What books did you use for level 4 and what would you recommend.

Comments

• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Hello cazalino

I used BPP Text Book and Question Banks for level 4 and would highly recommend them.

JC :o
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • topcat
    topcat Registered Posts: 452
    I hate Kaplan to had them all for level 3. Level 2 had Osbourne which were so easy and straight forward to follow.

This year for level 4 back to a mixture of both.

Kaplan seem to complicate something into 5 pages which Osbourne would explain nicely in 1. Kaplan layouts seem confusing to me to. More mistakes in Kaplan books to with answers and questions

Rage over :mad:
  • Vlee
    Vlee Registered Posts: 136 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I used Osbourne for L2 and they were good and nicely laid out. I mainly have Kaplan for L3 and so far PEAF and Speadsheets have been a bit rubbish but ITX was ok, but how do they get away with so many mistakes? If i continue to self study I'm investing in brand new BPP books for L4 thanks to everything I've heard on this forum. However it would be very expensive to buy if you also buy the college's preferred text. Kaplan seems to be popular in colleges here unfortunately.
  • Nps
    Nps Registered Posts: 782
    I'm a big fan of BPP and they served me well, but they weren't free of mistakes either.

I've read posts on more than one occasion where people have complained of something coming up in an exam which they say wasn't covered in their Osborne book or wasn't covered in enough depth. It is for that reason that I avoided Osborne myself.
  • steve2008
    steve2008 Registered Posts: 89 Epic contributor 🐘
    I'm a fan of Osborne myself, although I didn't try BPP.

I did Kaplan at level 2 and hated the books, finished (studying) level 3 now using osborne. There were not many errors in the texts, and they have corrections posted on their webpage for the few there were.
    For PEAF I did notice a couple of questions which I am sure were not covered in the osborne text, but not enough to complain about. The other modules seemed complete enough to me.

I am sticking with osborne for level 4 (better the devil you know).
  • Sam22
    Sam22 Registered Posts: 117 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I've used Osborne books since I started at Level 2 with Premier Training.
    I am now self studying Level 4 and decided to keep using the Osborne books but I've also been buying the BPP question banks for more practice.

I think just use whatever books you feel comfortable using and what you feel gives you the best understanding - as you say you're only in college once a week so the other 6 days you are free to use whatever resources suit you.
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Registered Posts: 20 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I've also been using Osborne books since level 2 and prefer them to the others. I borrowed some BPP books from my friend last year and really didn't get on with them.

This year (level 4), our college are using BPP books, but I have decided to stick with the Osborne ones. I'm still a bit worried I might struggle with different books, but like you, i'm only there once a week and i'm hoping what we do in class won't be taught from the book anyway!
  • steve2008
    steve2008 Registered Posts: 89 Epic contributor 🐘
    Sam, its OT, but shouldn't your sig say January 14 for Auditing?
  • Sam22
    Sam22 Registered Posts: 117 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Well spotted, thank you.
  • missymaverick
    missymaverick Registered Posts: 5 Regular contributor ⭐
    I used Kaplan (rather my college dictated!) for level 2 and 3 and found them wishy washy and took ages to get to the point.
    I now use Obsourne for level 4 self studying and find they really help and are much clearer and easier to understand. The chapter summaries are a real help.
    I also use BPP question banks which help to vary how the questions are asked, something which AAT love to do at level 4!
  • topcat
    Fed up now read two chapters tonight in kaplan two work book activities have different answers to the options listed in the questions what a joke how am I meant to learn from contradicting information, answers and questions
  • topcat
    http://www.osbornebooks.co.uk/

Do Osborne do a financial statements book can't find it?
  • topcat
    found them after all happy days will have to invest i am little too happy their is an alternative :lol:

http://www.osbornebooksshop.co.uk/c/aat_accounting_qcf_/2013_revised_aat_accounting_qualification/level_4_diploma_in_accounting1
  • imtiaz
    imtiaz Registered Posts: 20 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I've self studied using Kaplan books, levels 2/3 and now 4.. (passed budgeting with exceeded in everything except for one of the written questions which I got met, got PTX today and tbh I think i'm feeling over confident going into this exam). So I can't say Kaplan books have not been good 'so far' (touch wood). Haven't failed anything so far either. While I agree the Kaplan books do sometimes take a while to get to the point, I don't think that's always a bad thing..
Privacy Policy