Spreadsheet Exam

PhillipP
PhillipP Registered Posts: 20 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
I was just interested to know about the content for the Level 3 Spreadsheet Exam.

I have worked through the Muddlestone practice assessment and have completed Scenario 1 and Scenario 2.

I have been using Excel for over 15 years but have never needed to use things like =min, =max, =if, absolute cell referencing, conditional formatting and pivot tables. It's been really good though learning all of these additional Excel features.

Having completed scenario 2 and tackled the additional features of =vlookup and =hlookup I have been informed that this work is unneccesary as it is not required in the examination and that the examination is similar to the Muddlestone practice paper.

I am still going to tackle the other scenarios though because I am keen to develop my Excel skills.

I would just like to know from anyone who is familiar with the exam whether it's true and that it's not necessary to learn about the VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP functions.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Last 2 exams:-
Spreadsheets
AP2

Comments

• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Hello Phillip

Interested to know who informed you that it was not necessary to learn the lookups.

I sat SPSW quite some time ago and can't remember the content. However, if the 'lookups' are in the syllabus I would learn them and ensure you are comfortable with them as they could be examined.

Imagine how you would feel if on the day of your exam a new question/paper was introduced (they did for cash management and also ICAS) and there was a question which involved the use of a lookups.

Good luck with the exam, I am sure you will be fine.

JC :o
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Rachie278
    Rachie278 Registered Posts: 55 Epic contributor 🐘
    I did the SPSW exam in about March this year and there was look ups in there :001_smile:
  • Vlee
    Vlee Registered Posts: 136 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    My exam was just like the practice one, presumably the one you mention. However my text book clearly stated which bits were included in the syllabus and look ups were included. It was the bit I worked on most, along with IF statements, but I didn't need them in the end. Never be complacent about exam content as it appears there have been many new style questions in different modules recently, and there may be more with the new syllabus. Good luck!
  • RyanKimbo
    RyanKimbo Registered Posts: 8 Regular contributor ⭐
    Looks ups most definitely ARE included in your exam...
  • PhillipP
    Well, that's me back from completing the exam.

I've been told that it's a 14 day wait for the results: marking, verification and all that. How long have other members had to wait for their Spreadsheet results?

Starting the final unit at the weekend - AP2
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Result received the next day and IV was about a week I think. My assessor was fantastic! Did you find the exam ok?
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • zaf1987
    zaf1987 Registered Posts: 124 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I did mine on the 3rd september and and got results within 2 weeks. There were no v lookups on mine.
  • CeeJaySix
    CeeJaySix Registered Posts: 645
    Glad you passed Zaf, well done. Just out of interest (there's been another thread or two since your queries with different views/experiences) was yours more or less identical to the mock?
  • LeeIOW
    LeeIOW Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    I completed mine Wednesday and was surprised by how similar it was to Muddlestone, there were also no look ups on mine.
  • zaf1987
    zaf1987 Registered Posts: 124 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Hi ceejaysix mine was pretty much as muddlestone. Not 100 percent bit very similar.
    And again thanks for the help. What i would say to people doing spsw is the help i was given on my thread helped alot. Because exam is marked differently i was unsure of certain things. And through help of this forum small but important things such as saving. New worksheet or woorkbooks etc were made clear to me.

Zaf
  • PhillipP
    Only just found out that I've passed the spreadsheet module. It's taken 15 days to get the results through on MyAAT after having sent a reminder email to the college on Monday. I think the waiting is the worst part of this module.

Hoping to complete the last unit next week - AP2.
  • SuzDunnn
    SuzDunnn Registered Posts: 3 New contributor 🐸
    Well done PhillipP! (and others upthread who've passed).

Reading this thread with interest as I'm due to take this exam in a couple of weeks. I'm a fairly experienced Excel user already, although a bit rusty in some areas, and definitely need to get more familiar with 2007/10 as I'd mainly used 2000/2003. Never used pivot tables either.

Slightly in awe of how rapidly you're getting through the exams Phillip!
Privacy Policy