Budgeting 4c from sample aq2013

zaf1987
zaf1987 Registered Posts: 124 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
Hi first i want to say huge thanks to eveyone who helped me in my spreadsheets module.
I passed the assesement. And have now completed level 3. Im actually im middle of budgeting and have come across a question which puzzles me.

Prepare forcast from operating budget and statement of financial position assumptions.

Assumptions
- receivables increase by 2500
Materials payables reduce by 3500
Labour cost paid in month they incurred
Other payables increase 4800

Operatong budget

Sales 103000
Expenditure
Materials 34200
Labour 38500
Other 16400

Operating profit 13900

It seems im doing the oposite to the answer. If materials payables reduce by 3500 i have 30700. But answer is 37700

Thanks zaf

Comments

• crispy
    crispy Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi,

Is this for a cash budget ? If payables are reducing this would mean you are paying out more in cash to reduce the closing payables, similar to if receivables are increasing you are collecting less cash.
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    zaf1987 wrote: »
    Hi first i want to say huge thanks to eveyone who helped me in my spreadsheets module.
    I passed the assesement. And have now completed level 3. Im actually im middle of budgeting and have come across a question which puzzles me.

Prepare forcast from operating budget and statement of financial position assumptions.

Assumptions
    - receivables increase by 2500
    Materials payables reduce by 3500
    Labour cost paid in month they incurred
    Other payables increase 4800

Operatong budget

Sales 103000
    Expenditure
    Materials 34200
    Labour 38500
    Other 16400

Operating profit 13900

It seems im doing the oposite to the answer. If materials payables reduce by 3500 i have 30700. But answer is 37700

Thanks zaf

You are completely the opposite.
    Just think about cash:
    If you owed someone £5000 at the start of September and reduced this to £1,500 by the end of September you would have had to have paid that person.
    So look at your materials payable: You've reduced what you owe by £3,500 (in other words paid that amount) AND you've bought £34,200 worth of materials - so you've paid £37,700.

Tha same applies to the other balances. Does that make sense?

Look from the point of view of cash - if you need to then look back at your level 3 Cash Management notes.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
Privacy Policy