CIS - Verifying a subcontractor

zara5034
zara5034 Registered Posts: 170 Dedicated contributor 🦉
I am hoping someone can advise me on the exact details required to verify a subcontractor. I keep getting authentication failures when I try so I am guessing that some of the information I hold is incorrect.

Thanks
Zara

Comments

• T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    You need their name, utr number and their postcode. You may need to check that their postcode hasn't changed; they may have forgotten to tell HMRC!
  • zara5034
    Thank you for this. I thought that was the case, but I thought we also needed the NI number, I'm not sure why I can't verify them. Do they need a separate CIS number of any sort??
  • T.C.
    No. You should just be able to enter their details and wait on verification. What message are you getting? Maybe the subbies aren't registered for CIS!
  • zara5034
    Its a verification failure message. I think the subbies are registered under CIS as I made a point of it when I took the client on, I am going to get him to double check the subbie details. Then double check with my software provider as I want to make sure I am putting everything in the right place, so to speak, as I am new to processing it through software, I have previously just used HMRCs online services.

If all else fails I will contact HMRC direct, I just need to give the 64-8 time to be processed!
  • T.C.
    I would suggest that you dry going straight to the HMRC website and doing the verification on there. If that fails, then at least you will know that there is some information that is not correct.
  • zara5034
    Thanks, good idea. I don't think you can verify a subcontractor unless you have authorized the client first, luckily he sent me the activation code this morning, so I can now try that. He also said he was going to send me a copy of the subbie's CIS card...so watch this space!
  • zara5034
    I think I know what the problem is, I am being given the CIS card number as the UTR. but there is too many digits on it. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • peaman
    peaman Registered Posts: 123 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Haven't seen a CIS card for a while as they have not been issued for years, but do you have a 13 digit number ending in 101?

I believe the CIS card number should be the UTR plus 101, so if you remove these 3 digits and re-submit it should work.
  • angmc
    angmc Registered Posts: 73 Epic contributor 🐘
    From memory, as I don't deal with CIS now, I think peaman is right, you just knock off the last 3 digets to get the UTR number.
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Yes, this is correct, the first 10 digits are the UTR, the last 3 indicate whether they're operating as a sole trader/pship/Ltd Co
  • zara5034
    Thanks for the information guys. I tried again, without actually changing any of the information I originally put it and it has suddenly verified them!

Its good to know the above information though!
Privacy Policy