Lost receipts....

Sarah-Lou
Sarah-Lou Registered Posts: 141 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Client just contacted me, her van was broken into last night (actually she thinks she left it unlocked :/ ) everything was dragged out and it appears the only thing stolen was paperwork from the front including various receipts. Obviously purchases on a card/credit card can be linked to the statements but what about items purchased for cash?

Bit odd I think someone would just take paperwork but obviously have to give her the benefit of the doubt!

Comments

• T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    If they were materials which were bought on a regular basis, but one or two month's receipts missing, I would say ok. If they were for capital items that still exist in her possession, I would say ok. The tax man could be harsh, but will usually accept reasonable explanations for loss of receipts, providing that the costs can be substantiated. Where did the cash come from for the purchases? Can it be shown as coming out of the bank? Can it be shown as coming from takings? Hope that helps a little.
  • Sarah-Lou
    Sarah-Lou Registered Posts: 141 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    thank you T.C. this isn't something I have come across before. I have basically said to her what you have said - items purchased monthly fuel etc can be dealt with. She keeps saying she doesn't know what she bought and it wasn't always from the takings but her own money. She has said now she has realised other items are missing and she has reported it to the police.

This could be an interesting accounting period!
  • Rachel
    Rachel Registered Posts: 348 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I have had a clients who's house was destroyed by fire. I called HMRC and they said to use estimates and tick the box on the return and include police incident number and insurance claim.
Privacy Policy