CITB Levy

zara5034
zara5034 Registered Posts: 170 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Can anyone tell me anything about the CITB Levy. Do all contractors and subcontractors have to registered and submit a return?

Comments

• T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I don't really understand your question. Please explain further and I will try to help.
  • T.C.
    I don't really understand your question. Please explain further and I will try to help.
  • zara5034
    Its the Construction Industry Training Board. I don't know a lot more myself. As far as I can see, a CIS employer must be registered with the CITB but will only pay a levy if their total wages bill exceeds £80k a year. It also looks like all CIS employers must submit a return. Does anyone else have any experience of this?
  • zara5034
    Its the Construction Industry Training Board. I don't know a lot more myself. As far as I can see, a CIS employer must be registered with the CITB but will only pay a levy if their total wages bill exceeds £80k a year. It also looks like all CIS employers must submit a return. Does anyone else have any experience of this?
  • Carole
    Carole Registered Posts: 57 Regular contributor ⭐
    I work for a construction company and submit an annual return. What do you want to know?
  • zara5034
    Do all contractors have to be registered and submit an annual return...Is it mandatory?
  • T.C.
    I would like to see Carole's reply, because it is not mandatory for all contractors to register with CITB. Carole: you obviously deal with this and I would be interested to know why the larger companies are registered; is it something to do with offering apprenticeships??
  • Carole
    OK the reason I didn't reply was because I could find nothing on the CITB website that says its complulsory. It just says that building companies SHOULD register. I have just spoken to my MD and he said it used to be mandatory and assumed it still was. We are a small family owned business and pay far more to the CITB than we receive back in grants. We do not offer apprenticeships.
    We even had an inspection from them a couple of years ago to check we were submitting our returns correctly.

Our wages bill is around £400k.
    We would de- register if its not compulsory.

Do you know that for sure T.C.?
  • Carole
    What I can tell just from Googling is that the CITB was due to be privatised and therefore the levy could not be compulsory, however at the moment it is still in government hands and therefore is compulsory.
    I would love to know if anyone knows anything different.
  • T.C.
    I know lots of small building companies who have nothing to do with CITB. I only deal with one company who does and they are a very big limited company. Are we saying that 'limited companies' should be registered and not the smaller sole traders and partnerships? I would like to find out more on this too. I deal with the construction industry alot and, as I say, only know one company doing this.
  • Ellabobbin
    Ellabobbin Registered Posts: 92 Epic contributor 🐘
    I heard mentioned in the office that it is a 1% levy on payments to subcontractors who are labour only? If the subbie invoices for materials (even if only once a year, with many other labour only invoices) then you do not need to pay the levy for that subbie... I only heard a snippet but that is my understanding.....
  • zara5034
    Wow, this is getting more and more complicated. I am glad it is just not myself that finds the information unclear. I may contact CITB myself and question them, if I get any joy, I will post the response on here. Thanks for all your help so far
Privacy Policy