Accounting for vat on Amazon sales (UK)

redsunflower25
redsunflower25 Registered Posts: 38 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi

I'm looking for some help in accounting for VAT on Amazon sales. I have an invoice which isn't very clear as to what is vatable and what isn't... can any one help with this please?

My logic is (please say if I'm wrong!!) that you pay vat on the total sales/income and don't claim on the Amazon fees as they are based in Luxembourg...

What about the gift wrap/shipping costs? The invoice does split this.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I think you will probably have to reverse charge the amazon seller fees.
  • redsunflower25
    thanks, that's what another member said, its very confusing though! Guess they wouldn't make these thing simple
  • Gem7321
    It's quite simple! Put the VAT amount in Box 1 and Box 4 and the net amount in Box 6 and Box 7. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/returns-accounts/completing-returns.htm#5

If you use Sage you should have tax codes already set up for reverse charges.
  • redsunflower25
    In sage I use T8 which pulls it into box 2 and 4, should it be box 1 or 2?

Thanks!
  • Gem7321
    According to the link in my previous post it's Box 1. Box 2 is for straightforward EC purchases rather than RC.
  • redsunflower25
    Ok, thanks, will have a play with sage, I made a new company to play with so will see which T codes I need. Thanks for your help
  • Gem7321
    I do my adjustments manually but if it helps on my Sage the reverse charge t code is T20
Privacy Policy