Starting a Payroll Service?

shane.w
shane.w Registered Posts: 23 Regular contributor ⭐
I'm currently studying level two in Book-keeping, I did level two in Accounting last year, but didn't take Basic Accounting 2. I am also a Purchase Ledger Clerk. Getting back on track. My girlfriends father is a member in practice, and he thinks it would be a good idea to start doing Payroll for small business in our local area. I'll be doing majority of it, and he'll be there for support.

I have looked in to it, but I can not find many 'guides' as such. Would anyone be able to shed some light onto it for me?

Would what I need i.e

Software?
HMRC reference number?

Any knowledge would be a great help.

Comments

• villapb
    villapb Registered Posts: 357
    Ok if the girlfriends father is supporting you and thinks its a good idea, why are you asking basic questions, where is the support ????
  • shane.w
    shane.w Registered Posts: 23 Regular contributor ⭐
    villapb wrote: »
    Ok if the girlfriends father is supporting you and thinks its a good idea, why are you asking basic questions, where is the support ????

I didn't really want to pester him with the questions which I felt were obvious D:

Will you be able to answer the questions for me? :P
  • Marky Astra
    Marky Astra Registered Posts: 45 Regular contributor ⭐
    First of all i would suggest you look into the subject of payroll. It is not just here is the gross amount, lets put it in the system and see what net payment shows. There is ALOT more to it than many people think. You need to be aware of the deductions that can apply, staff holidays, SMP, SSP, salary sacrifice etc etc. If you do not have the knowledge in this then i would avoid this.

But if you are happy enough i would advise to:

1. You need to get yourself set up, so either registered as self employed or register a Limited Company. This then comes with the cost of websites/advertising/your own bookkeeping software for your own books etc.

Secondly get yourself set up as an agent with HMRC for PAYE services.

Payroll software - There's many to choose from these days, it really depends on what you want to offer. If you want to send people actual payslips then computer software like Sage or IRIS to name just a couple. If you want digital payslips then there is a whole number of providers.

Marcus
Privacy Policy