Level 4 - BTax

K3nnyst
K3nnyst Registered Posts: 6 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
Have passed Level 4 personal tax, and now debating whether to take business tax as my other option. Can anyone either recommend it or offer a persuasive argument about dodging it?

Thanks

Level 2 Passed Nov 12
Level 3 Passed July 13
Level 4 WIP ...

Comments

• Nps
    Nps Registered Posts: 782
    I did personal tax and business tax. In my opinion, business tax is the harder of the 2, but there is a lot of crossover between the content so if you've done one of them, I'd suggest you do them both. As you chose personal tax it suggests you have an interest in it, so business tax would be the other logical choice. I don't know if the options have changed on the new syllabus, but on the old one, the other options were credit mgmt and audit. I've done the ACCA audit paper and it is quite a dry subject - from other posts on here, the AAT paper appears to be equally dry. I'm lead to believe that credit mgmt is maybe the easiest option. If you're moving onto ACCA for example, you will find Business Tax very useful, and AAT audit will be a good intro to the ACCA audit paper (but it's all covered at ACCA level anyway). I'm not sure that credit mgmt would be of much use if you went on to ACCA (though I've never looked at the credit mgmt syllabus so I could be wrong).
  • Clarekaye
    Clarekaye Registered Posts: 307
    I did both taxes, kinda wish I hadnt! I understand what people mean that they are similar and somethings do cross over and I always like a challenge rather than going for cash which seems a easy route but its personal choice, if you liked or got on with personal tax then yes do business tax, if not then I wouldnt. :)
  • K3nnyst
    K3nnyst Registered Posts: 6 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    The more I think about it, the more I'm tempted by Business Tax. Was going to do Cash Management as my other option, but did enjoy personal tax in a twisted kind of way, so maybe it is worth the while indulging in the other. Thanks for the words of wisdom :thumbup1:
  • Clintm15
    Clintm15 Registered Posts: 248 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I say dodge it. >.<
    AAT
    Level 2 - 2011
    Level 3 - 2012
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA
    F4 - Corporate Law - Dec 2015 (passed)
    F5 - Performance Management - Dec 2014 (passed)
    F6 - Taxation - Dec 2013 (passed)
    F7 - Financial Reporting - Jun 2014 (passed)
    F8 - Audit & Assurance - Dec 2015 (passed)
    F9 - Financial Management - Jun 2015 (passed)
  • topcat
    topcat Registered Posts: 452
    Doing it along side personal tax and I would have dodged it if I knew it was going to be this much pure brain pain
  • mrderek88
    mrderek88 Registered Posts: 44 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    DODGE IT!

I had my exam last week and I hated it. Didn't find anything in the content interesting at all. If I could pick again, I would...
  • CeeJaySix
    CeeJaySix Registered Posts: 645
    Possibly one of the two most useful units if you want to go MiP or work in practice (the other being FNST with PTAX not far behind).

Lots of crossover from personal tax which (I found) makes it easier to study for.

I guess it depends how your head works - if you like the pure numbers side of things it probably suits you, if you prefer the analytical or management stuff more maybe not so much. It seems like there's a lot of rules to learn but once you have it sorted in a logical sequence in your head it's not that bad - so much so that I've gone for Tax Compliance as my first ACA paper.
  • Lucy_M
    Lucy_M Registered Posts: 136 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Have to say I'm really enjoying it, I think CeeJay's right, it depends how your head works... The logical process and exactness of it suits me ;)
  • topcat
    starting to like it more now i have done a few questions so i will pass judgement once i have done the exams :001_tongue:
  • Makkusu
    Makkusu Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor โญ
    Possibly one of the two most useful units if you want to go MiP or work in practice (the other being FNST with PTAX not far behind).

Lots of crossover from personal tax which (I found) makes it easier to study for.

I guess it depends how your head works - if you like the pure numbers side of things it probably suits you, if you prefer the analytical or management stuff more maybe not so much. It seems like there's a lot of rules to learn but once you have it sorted in a logical sequence in your head it's not that bad - so much so that I've gone for Tax Compliance as my first ACA paper.

I agree with CeeJay here, both tax units are valuable to me. I work in practice and had some basic knowledge/experience before I started the units, I sat BTX before PTX so I can't really comment on the crossover from your perspective.

If you want to be good at your job, dodging the hard stuff will get you nowhere. :tongue_smilie:

Saying that, I generally enjoy taxation units as we can all relate to tax no matter how basic or advanced our understanding is.
  • topcat

I agree with CeeJay here, both tax units are valuable to me. I work in practice and had some basic knowledge/experience before I started the units, I sat BTX before PTX so I can't really comment on the crossover from your perspective.

If you want to be good at your job, dodging the hard stuff will get you nowhere. :tongue_smilie:

Saying that, I generally enjoy taxation units as we can all relate to tax no matter how basic or advanced our understanding is.

I agree with dodging hard stuff gets you know where , the stuff you want to dodge is normally what you need to work on to get you further
  • Clintm15
    Clintm15 Registered Posts: 248 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    All I can say is that I dodged Business tax during AAT and I passed ACCA F6 taxation without any problem. To me it's worth dodging just to get your AAT qualification done. Unless you have specific plans where you will immediately need it post-AAT why work harder than you need to?
    AAT
    Level 2 - 2011
    Level 3 - 2012
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA
    F4 - Corporate Law - Dec 2015 (passed)
    F5 - Performance Management - Dec 2014 (passed)
    F6 - Taxation - Dec 2013 (passed)
    F7 - Financial Reporting - Jun 2014 (passed)
    F8 - Audit & Assurance - Dec 2015 (passed)
    F9 - Financial Management - Jun 2015 (passed)
Privacy Policy