Working on your own / taking on staff

Hi all,

I'm juts looking for a bit of feedback from those of you who started on your own and eventually taken on staff.

To give some background, I've been self-employed for 3 years but gave up the day job in Sep 13 to work from home and also do some sub-contracting. I grew pretty fast and have been able to ease off the sub con work thankfully and have recently occupied my first office. This was a little quicker than expected but a great opportunity came along and I snatched it! So things are growing and a good rate...

Sometimes it does feel a bit strange just being 'me', as I've always worked in an open office with colleagues. How did you guys find this (or find this now)?

STAFF

When did you decide it was time to take staff on? I'm feeling like the non-chargeable time is draining on me (mainly due to new client admin) and like the sound of an apprentice I can mould, plus the rates are attractive of course!

Your opinions would be much appreciated.

Steve

Comments

• JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hi Steve
    I guess how you feel about working on your own is down to your personality. There have been times when I have felt very lonely working from home but several years ago I started doing 2/3 days a week for one client who employed about 15 people and once I got sucked into the gossip mill again it reminded me why I'd left that environment! I do still have several clients who i visit on a monthly/quarterly basis and I usually enjoy getting away from the house to see them, but personally I don't really miss the dramas and politics of working for a larger organisation.
    As for staff, my sister helped out a bit in the early days and then I employed someone part-time for about a year which didn't work out as well as I was hoping for as she didn't really have an interest in accounting and didn't seem interested in learning much about the work. At that point my husband changed jobs and was able to help out a lot more around the house so I was able to spend more time working and spent the next year on my own, but for the past 2 years I've employed an apprentice and it has worked out really well. I interviewed 4 candidates for the job and I think that 3 of them would have been fine and the one I chose has been so reliable and dedicated and is still with me now. It does take a lot of time and patience to explain exactly how you want everything done and checking over it all, especially in the first few months but if you get the right person it can work well.
    Hope that helps!
    Jodie
  • stevo5678
    stevo5678 Registered Posts: 325
    Great, thanks for the feedback Jodie :)

It would be very good to have someone to take away or assist with the manual repetititve tasks and non chargeable admin time. I feel like I haven't really got time to be lonely! However do miss having someone to talk to now and again :(

I know what you mean with office politics, it's terrible really but most businesses seem to have it lurking in the background somewhere.

Thanks again for your feedback.
  • Ellabobbin
    Ellabobbin Registered Posts: 92 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi,

This is really cheeky, but could I ask where you're based? My son is desperate to get into accounting - has started his AAT level 2 off his own back but is struggling to get a foot in any doors. Unfortunately he lives away from home otherwise I could use my local contacts to get him some work experience, which is what even trainee jobs seem to be wanting at the moment...

Please forgive me for asking...!
  • Ellabobbin
    Ellabobbin Registered Posts: 92 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi,

This is really cheeky, but could I ask where you're based? My son is desperate to get into accounting - has started his AAT level 2 off his own back but is struggling to get a foot in any doors. Unfortunately he lives away from home otherwise I could use my local contacts to get him some work experience, which is what even trainee jobs seem to be wanting at the moment...

Please forgive me for asking...!
  • stevo5678
    stevo5678 Registered Posts: 325
    Hi Ella, tell me where you are based and I'll tell you if its close ;)

He is doing the right thing by doing AAT, he should just keep sending out letters/emails to local firms as timing is key.

Thanks
Privacy Policy