Am I being underpaid

Options
Sam22
Sam22 Registered Posts: 117 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
I wonder if I could get some other people's opinion: I started at the company I work for a year ago and this was my first accountancy related role. In January there was a very sudden change of personnel and I was asked to take over the role which is Accounts Payable and the company's payroll. In March I completed AAT and given a pay increase. In May I had a review in which my boss said he was so impressed with my work and that I'm along way above what he'd expected. We discussed targets for the next year and also particular projects he wanted me to see to and he also talked about how he wants me to take on some of his side of things. This is all great however, 4 months later and I've already met all my targets and completed the projects he wanted me to work on. Recently however, someone new has started on a temp contract who isn't capable and I have been asked to help him out and take on some of the work he should be doing, in particular vat returns. This person is on more than myself salary wise. I am currently on £21,600, I'm in the South East. From what I've described above what are people's opinions? Is this an average salary? I've looked on the internet and found very differing results, but all of which are above what I'm currently on.

Comments

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    It depends. As you say if you search around there are wide ranging salaries for any given role. The fact someone junior has come in and is supposedly on more than you though does not necessarily show they value you. I found when employed the only real way to get valued was to move jobs or at least threaten to move, which is sad really. For this reason I ended up Self-Employed and now I know who to blame if I'm not being paid what I'm worth!!!

I would discuss with your employer that you have reached agreed milestones and targets and you feel this has not been recognised. Been frank and open with them, if they are sensible they should realise that having staff that do not feel valued can be very detrimental to the staff and business as a whole. Just don't sit quiet and do nothing as it may have been overlooked for whatever reason and unless you say something they won't know how you feel. Remember be firm but polite and sell yourself.
    Regards,

Burg
  • Sam22
    Options
    Thank you for your feedback. The person brought in isn't junior to me. On paper they have more years experience and are a little further into exams than myself. The fact I've been having to teach him/do his work has been a little frustrating because of what I've stated above (I'm also the payroll person for the company so unfortunately process his pay each month). Do you think considering I've been there only a year, my lack of experience compared to others and that I've already had one pay increase at the beginning of the year would mean I'm pushing it by bringing this subject up or is it worth mentioning it? Thanks again for your advice
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    Your employers may well consider that you are pushing it. However, in my opinion as an employer I would rather know if a member of staff was not happy. It can then be addressed in a way that suits all parties. This may not be an instant result but a work in progress. Simply explaining that although this new person is more experienced on paper if you are having to train them in issues that are not necessarily specific to your company and they potentially should already know you feel this should be reflected both in terms of your responsibilities and your salary. There is a fine line between being firm but fair and rude. You need to get that right. This can't necessarily be a regular thing you do every few months or so. You need to seriously consider the path forward now and what you want and what you can give and then sell that and work out a plan together. And remember if you don't ask you don't get.
    Regards,

Burg
  • Sam22
    Options
    Thank you. I think I'm going to wait until my next review and put a few thoughts together to make sure I've thought it through properly so I'm not coming across as being rude, like you said. It's been interesting to hear someone else's opinion, so thank you.
Privacy Policy