Level 4 Business Skills Diploma

Options
n_palmer13
n_palmer13 Registered Posts: 2
Hi all

Hope your all having a good weekend. I've got a bit of a dilemma. A couple of weeks ago a lady at the college I study at, said after the level 4 we must complete a level 4 business skills diploma which is a year long. Aparantly the AAT think that apprentices do not complete the course with enough skills. In order to not do the course I would have to pay. Does anyone know if this course is actually mandatory? Also does anyone know when this actually come into effect? The college told me they found out 1st September 2014 which I don't believe, and I've since heard colleges in the country are refusing to run it.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Comments

• sdv
    sdv Registered Posts: 585 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    If you want to do a level 4 apprenticeship in accounting then you have to do 2 level 4 qualifications

1 AAT level 4 Diploma in accounting ( 6 units) and
    2 AAT level 4 Business Skills Diploma

Both of these qualifications have approx 360 guided learning hours.

You have to study 720 hours for apprenticeship.

however, to become a full member of AAT you only need AAT level 4 Diploma in accounting

I do not see any advantage in doing level 4 apprenticeship in accounting. If my employers are paying fees I would persuade them to let me do L4 Diploma in accounting and get the dull membership of AAT.

I am not saying that Business Skills does not have any value. It is an excellent qualification but it is not necessary or required if your objective is to become a full member of AAT.
  • sdv
    sdv Registered Posts: 585 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    ...... Oops typo error!

did not mean to say dull membership but FULL membership
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options

Hi all

Aparantly the AAT think that apprentices do not complete the course with enough skills. In order to not do the course I would have to pay.

sdv said:

I do not see any advantage in doing level 4 apprenticeship in accounting. If my employers are paying fees I would persuade them to let me do L4 Diploma in accounting and get the dull membership of AAT.

The advantage of an apprenticeship is that there may be a (potentially substantial) contribution towards study fees. In this instance, doing both Level 4 qualifications may be worth while - even if you (or your employer) have to pay, it may still mean funding for other parts of the qualification/apprenticeship.

I can agree with SDV, as a potential employer I would be looking at the AAT accounting qualification and relevant work experience.

Neil
  • HCLang7
    HCLang7 Registered Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been working in this diploma but am unlikely to finish it before I begin ACA and I have finished level 4.

I feel mislead as I was told that you need level 4 AAT to do ACA but it turns out it is not needed as I am not allowed to take any exemptions with my employer. My college have been very disorganised and made things more difficult than they needed to be.

Does anyone know what the repercussions are of leaving the diploma unfinished?
Privacy Policy