Spams on the new forum

MarieNoelle
MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
We seem to have an invasion of spam threads on the new forum lately!

Comments

• ChristianB
    ChristianB Registered Posts: 197 Epic contributor 🐘
    edited October 2014
    Hi @MarieNoelle

We've noticed! On the old forums, we used to manually authorise every new member to keep spammers out. AAT forums were surprisingly popular with spammers; on an average day we'd have over 40 new people sign up for an account and only two or three would be actual AAT members, the rest were known spambots from all over the world.

At the moment, the forums are open for immediate registration. The reason for this is that we wanted to encourage people to sign-up as easily as possible after the upgrade. Eventually, we may get to a point where we have to manually check every new registration again, but for now we're going to do it the old fashioned way.

Stuart and I can both delete these messages and block the perpetrators but with your help we can do it even quicker. You can do this by clicking the 'flag' icon at the bottom of the post, and then selecting 'spam'. This then goes into a queue that Stuart and I administrate.

Example: Let's say for some reason we wanted to treat Stuart as a spammer, you would mark him as such:

Let me know if you have any other questions or thoughts.

Thanks!

Christian
    I have now left AAT. If you require any assistance with the forums, please contact membership support: https://www.aat.org.uk/contact-us
  • BeccaLouJ9
    BeccaLouJ9 Registered Posts: 896 Epic contributor 🐘
    I noticed this too... I have been flagging away, as has @MarieNoelle....

You seem to be getting rid of them quite quickly though, so well done.

B :)
  • ChristianB
    ChristianB Registered Posts: 197 Epic contributor 🐘
    I realised after I replied that @MarieNoelle has been flagging them along with yourself! Thanks both, I appreciate the help!
    I have now left AAT. If you require any assistance with the forums, please contact membership support: https://www.aat.org.uk/contact-us
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    I have noticed spammers are increasingly active on the "Recent activity" screen...
  • StuartW
    StuartW Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Privacy Policy