Experience Required for MIP Application

Options
Hi, I'm new to the forums, and I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but...

I passed my AAT Level 4 in July and have recently gained my MAAT status. I am wishing to do some self-employed work on the side (I already have a job), and for this I will need to register as an MIP. The issue I have found is that even though I have worked in accounts for a number of years, I have no practical experience of doing income tax and corporation tax returns (I have the theoretical knowledge obviously). Am I correct in thinking that the AAT will not let me register as an MIP if I do not have this practical experience?

I have been considering ways to gain this experience. The obvious answer is to change jobs and work for an accountancy practice. However, all the jobs ads I have seen require someone who already has practice experience, even for junior assistant roles! So, the question again is how to get experience... Would AAT let me work unpaid, either for myself or for another organisation? If so, how long would I have to do this for before I could register?

Any help or advice would be appreciated, because it seems that there are very few ways in to do what I need to do!

Robert

Comments

• RobertN1985
    RobertN1985 Registered Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi David, thanks for your reply. That is a fantastic suggestion actually :) - I shall have to think about how I could arrange such a thing for myself!

Robert
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    @RobertN1985 try posting a mentor request on the forum
  • RobertN1985
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hi Gem, thanks - I might do that! Where would be the most appropriate section to post in? Sorry... I'm very new to the forum :)
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Here in the MiP forum or post a reply on the sticky thread at the top about the Mentor Scheme
  • RobertN1985
    Options
Privacy Policy