Becoming MAAT MIP - Confused!

Hi all.
I am looking at becoming MAAT MIP, after taking my AAT exams a long time ago; (about 14 years to be precise!) At the time, family commitments etc meant I didn't become a member. For the last 10 years I have been working as a self employed bookkeeper, and with the family getting older, feel now is a good time to think about myself and my future.
I contacted AAT via email to enquire, but each response takes 5 days, so this morning called and explained my situation. They said I could 'give it a go', and have emailed me the MAAT application form.
So do I apply for MAAT, wait to see if approved, and then go for MIP, or can you do both at the same time?
If you have to apply separately, I am self employed, but AAT stipulate you can only do this if a MIP, so how would does that work if MAAT but applying for MIP?
Also, how on earth do you quantify your work experience? Is there any kind of guidance on this? Everything I look at on the AAT site directs me to a login page for members and students!
Oh and I have a friendly ACCA Accountant who has seen my work for the last 5 years and will be my reference.
Any advice from those of you who have already gone down this route would be much appreciated!

Comments

• NickCraggs
    NickCraggs Registered, Tutor Posts: 62 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi Lizzi, the AAT and I are holding MAATchat next month where we will be answering questions like this. If you apply for MAAT and are self employed you will need to apply to the AAT to be MIP. However, if you have an ACCA who has seen your work, this should be straight forward.

If you, or anyone else is interested in MAATchat you join us here:

https://www.facebook.com/events/875413939150397/

Good luck

Nick
    Nick Craggs FMAAT AATQB ACA, AAT Branch Member and Distance Learning Director at First Intuition

firstintuition.co.uk/
Privacy Policy