BDGT Exam Thursday Help

Hi If anyone can hekp me I have failed the budgeting exam 3 times now and everytime it is beleived to be on the written as I have received no marks, or as the AAT would say below average. Last term it was said that the AAT had introduced a new examiner and he was marking the written with exact precision which we all know in the past has never really happened on any exam. Can anyone offer some helpful advise as to what to look for what to write an d how to write it? The practice papers show things but there is to much to remeber in all of it so I thought if i could remeber bullet points it would help???? Please all you AAT people who have passed Help me xxxx

Comments

• zippi
    zippi Registered Posts: 182 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi Stacey, I have recently passed my budgeting exam, luckily first time despite of lot of tutor changes at college. All I would suggest is state the obvious for e.g. Say what you have attached whether a draft material for budget etc. then if comparing variance between 2 figures actual & budget so say if actual figure was 64000 in units and budget was 67,840 then the difference between the 2 is 3840 units you then convert this into a % by dividing 3840/64000 units and the answer is 6%. Just put this in report and then eventually go down the draft material budget and pick each information for e.g. Material wastage and again compare figures. They also give information in question most of the times use that info. And write in your own words as to why production unit were down etc. this would all be for BUDGET SUBMISSION. You can also read about performance indicator on aat website under assessments aq2010 & long written questions. I hope this helps!
  • staceydtyson
    staceydtyson Registered Posts: 3
    Thanks it does alot, I am eating my way through stress about it at the moment but if i remeber to do the difference into a percentage then I think i will be ok but again its the percentage time do I divide the figure on the actual by the figure on the budget and divide by 100 and round up. Sorry to ask but our tutor has basically taught is in Parrot fashion so mathematical is pretty much ok its the written :smiley:
  • zippi
    Yes, as you have to compare actual to budget. Also, if you are okay with the rest except written questions than you should still pass. I have practiced assessment papers on aat website without doing long question and have managed to pass. Obviously, written would help if you made mistakes in others it gives you a little relief that you could gain certain marks from written too. Also practice standard costing etc. even if you have to learn it by rote, obviously if you understand than it would be even better! Good luck!
  • staceydtyson
    staceydtyson Registered Posts: 3
    Thanks again Zippi you have been fabulous I can't tell you how grateful I am x
  • zippi
    No worries, I am not an expert but got my detailed result today and I got met on long written task 5 and borderline on task 8. I think my last question was an issue on economy downturn and I should have used controllable & non controllable costs but instead just compared the figures and mentioned what was written in tasks, I guess these things only come to mind after you've done the test and time pressure plays a big part in it. Don't worry just don't think about what has happened in the past and go and do your best. The positive vibes will certainly pay off with a star result! Best wishes and good luck once again! (*)
  • CeeJaySix
    CeeJaySix Registered Posts: 645
    Just to head off any misunderstanding - as I understand it the practice papers on the AAT website do NOT mark the written answers; therefore you will get a Competent result on these mocks with 70% on the rest of the questions. If you only get 70% on all of those, you'll also need 70% on the written questions to pass.

Do the practice assessments not still have the number of marks each question is worth at the top of them? Then you could work out what %age of the marks are from the written answers. I suspect it would be difficult to pass without picking up any marks from them.
  • zippi
    Don't really know who to believe, during the mock was told by a tutor that written questions are not marked on practice assessments therefore you could still pass in budgeting, however don't know about other units?
  • zippi
    Ceejaysix, perhaps you are right, when you do the percentage it would give you how many percent written task is. However, not sure if all the papers on budgeting would be same marks. Was told by a tutor that aq2010 you had to score 70% in each section but in aq2013 I think it is overall 70%. Not entirely sure though!
  • CeeJaySix
    CeeJaySix Registered Posts: 645
    I believe AQ2013 exams are all in one part, and you need 70% overall to pass.

There is no way a computer could auto-mark your written answers in the practice assessments. The result of those is purely based on the other answers.
Privacy Policy