Sage (or Equivalent) Training to Gain Employment

ariadne
ariadne Registered Posts: 218
I skipped the Comperised Accouting module at L2 so I have completed L3 and have no formal accounting software training. I've used Xero and had experience using Orcle software in work - raising purchase orders, recording invoices and sending them to accounts. I have also used various software, databases etc, but I am wondering if I need to get training and have a formal sign off for Sage etc. I should be in a better position in the new year to look for work experience/internship placements or even work. Will having Sage training benefit my applications and if so which route is best?

I've seen AAT offer certificates for completion of their L2 Computerised Accounts module. They also have a L3 version, along with ethics and spreadsheets, but presume I need the L2 CA first. The local college courses are really expensive and start off at L1 which makes it extremely expensive and long winded to get to L3. I know there are Sage Home Study courses with certificates but which version is best? (Which version is supplied for the AAT courses?). I presume Sage is the obvious route as opposed to other software and most attractive to employers or is it not worth bothering as not everyone uses Sage and perhaps it's easy enough to pick up on the job.

Thanks.

Comments

• ariadne
    I have found this offer but I'm not sure if this is what I should be doing. Anyone done similar?

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/national-deal/gg-learn-direct-uk-3-16/50024685
  • CeeJaySix
    CeeJaySix Registered Posts: 645
    ariadne,

What kind of job are you looking for?

Sage is a very simple program to learn the basic functions, although prior knowledge may give you an edge in industry if the business uses Sage. In my experience if you're looking at practice jobs at entry level it won't make a bit of difference; but others may have different views. The more you want to get out of it, the more knowledge you need, so it is very dependent on the roles you're looking at.

If you are looking at industry, yes Sage is still one of the most popular packages among SMEs; but with the plethora of options out there, more and more businesses switching to cloud offerings, and with most larger companies running software with far more functionality than Sage 50, my opinion is that your money might be better spent elsewhere (or not at all) than on software training. Just my 2 cents, assuming it is entry-level jobs you're looking at.
  • ariadne
    I'm in the begging not choosing position I suspect, so any work. I have a four year employment gap to have two kids (have been doing AAT and various voluntary bits including some treasury type stuff I will get back to, took a break when I found out I needed spinal surgery, even less of an attractive potential employee!), plus childcare arrangements to sort so local is more of a priority initially - I will have to renegotiate my role in the family and eventually share responsibility more evenly. And that probably means it will be entry level rather than a graduate scheme, or even a admin role with accounts responsibility. I have an vague preference for practice over managerial accounting but I'm not super ambitious anymore. I am wondering whether sage etc would be more appealing for the work experinece requests - showing I can come in and get going quickly rather than needing training up, not everyone believes people can be fast learners and want proof. My husband had this issue in his field but taught himself no problem, but it still stopped him being put forward for roles.
  • CeeJaySix
    Sounds like you have a fair amount on your plate!

I include grad schemes as entry level, but by the by. I can see your point regarding work experience and to be fair for £60 you can't go far wrong, so if you've got the time it can't hurt.
  • ariadne
    Yes I suspect it won't be a problem and is a decent key word to put on my CV. The L2 AAT module is far more expensive so would take more thinking about whether it was worth it.

I only separate grad schemes as they accelerate the career progression and I am happy to take it slower, and I don't have the option of working all hours as expected by the big grad schemes. Hopefully I will have a good second career without interruption of kids and health issues, it's just tricky knowing what the best approach is. I still have two years until my youngest starts school so lots of time to study, get more work experience and sort the practicalities. I know finding work is much tougher now than ten years ago when I was a new graduate.
  • CeeJaySix
    I certainly wouldn't bother with the AAT module, seeing as a year ago you were exempt from it if you had the Sage 50 certification anyway.

Grad schemes aren't necessarily run like that - yes the big firms expect a certain amount of exams to be sat in a certain time, but certainly our scheme allows you to go at your own pace. I joined as a non-grad following a career change but am on the same contract, as the new graduates, sitting one or two ACA exams per quarter (at my preference). In fact our firm prefers us to take it slower as it means we have more time for work! As you have a degree it may be worth considering at regional firms who don't have a set-in-stone exam schedule?
Privacy Policy