New to Accountancy - Help with deducting VAT please :)

Hello there :)

I'm relatively new to accountancy and would like help with deducting VAT please.
Apologies if this is a silly question.

Thanks

Comments

• Adele69
    Adele69 Registered Posts: 320
    Divide by six: e.g. 120 / 6 = 20 so 120 gross - 20 vat = 100 net

Though I generally prefer using divide by 1.2 (assuming this to be 120% of the net) as it's easier to relate when the tax rate is something other than 20% like when it was 17.5% a few years ago as dividing by six will no longer work, while dividing by 1.175 will.

Divide by 1.2 e.g. 120 / 1.2 = 100 so 120 gross - 100 net = 20 vat. Obviously the divide by six rule is much easier when stuck without a calculator, but generally and in an exam you will have one.
  • Quirkydamsel
    Quirkydamsel Registered Posts: 9
    Thanks for your reply, but I'm even more confused by this. I am new to learning VAT. I am able to add it, (ie amount x 20%), but unsure on deducting it.
    Is there an easier method that can just be applied for each sum?
  • ariadne
    ariadne Registered Posts: 218
    Another option is to divide the total amount with VAT by 120 the times this by 100 - you know the figure includes 20% VAT and the remainder is the 100% so the total figure is 120%.

Eg £7.20 / 120 x 100 = £6.

I'd really recommend getting back to some GCSE maths level percentages, it's going to come up a fair bit in AAT as you progress and it will help your learning so much. I've seen references to YouTube videos on percentages which may be worth checking out, or get someone to explain it who understands it well. It does click eventually and becomes automatic as you practice, and you will get lots of percentages to practice!
  • Quirkydamsel
    Quirkydamsel Registered Posts: 9
    Hello again

I've been absent from my accountancy studies for several months, but I'm now returning. I'm still struggling with deducting VAT and hoped that someone can give me some help please.

I don't understand the method of dividing by 6 and neither the 120% bit either.

This is proving difficult as it's used frequently through the topics. I'm doing level 2 and have returned to the beginning and practiced the discounts and vat assessment yesterday.

Once I can accept the method, I'm good with calculations, it's just having it explained in simple terms.

Sorry guys, but thank you.
  • Adele69
    Adele69 Registered Posts: 320
    If you have an invoice at £100 exc-VAT, and £120 inc-VAT
    It could also be seen as 100% of net price, and 120% of the net price.

So dividing the 120% net price by 6 would give you the 20% VAT
    It could also be seen as a fraction 20/120, 10/60, 1/6th
  • Undlou
    Undlou Registered Posts: 11
    £gross ÷ 1.2 = £net

Example
    £120 ÷ 1.2 = £100

I hope the helps :)
Privacy Policy