Level 1 AAT Access - is it necessary?

Options
holgergo
holgergo Registered Posts: 1
Hi there,

I'm completely new to accountancy and I've decided to step on the AAT route via distance learning. I'm just having difficulties deciding where to start. You see, English is my second language but I consider myself pretty much fluent so I don't think I'd have any problems in that regard. Also, my maths skills are okay, I don't really know how to compare my qualification with the British system but I did study maths all throughout high school and did exceptionally well on the school leaving exam. Since then I have completed 2 BA programmes at uni. Anyways, it is just not clear to me whether this Access level is necessary in order to advance to further levels. I feel like I can comprehend all the basics from the books I'm reading, so I wouldn't necessarily pay for a course that is meant only to improve maths skills and such to okay levels or whatever.

Not many people seem to talk about this course so I wasn't able to find too many things about it, so here I am looking for advice! :)

Comments

• ChristianB
    ChristianB Registered Posts: 197 Epic contributor 🐘
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hi @holgergo

The Access course isn't necessary for everyone. It's a great course that can offer people with little to no academic experience a bit of knowledge to help them when they do start the core qualification.

By the sounds of things, you should be more than competent to start out on Level 2, or even Level 3.

We have a Skillscheck tool that should help you decide which of our qualifications to start at.

Kind regards
    I have now left AAT. If you require any assistance with the forums, please contact membership support: https://www.aat.org.uk/contact-us
Privacy Policy