Training providers and distance learning vs online learning

Hi

I was hoping whether some members here studying the AAT level 2 could provide their insight as to which training providers they found best? At present I am considering Eagle and Premier Training, both due to their good rep and their low cost.

Also, how do people find distance learning for the level 2 (and 3) in general?

I was going to post this in the Training Provider subforum but it appears to benefit from very few comments. Thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Spreadsheet_Vertigo
    Spreadsheet_Vertigo Registered Posts: 6
    No replies? :(
  • ChristianB
    ChristianB Registered Posts: 197 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi @Spreadsheet_Vertigo

Looks like this one flew in under the radar. Sorry about that! We'll tweet it now and invite feedback from our membership.

Many thanks!
    I have now left AAT. If you require any assistance with the forums, please contact membership support: https://www.aat.org.uk/contact-us
  • ariadne
    ariadne Registered Posts: 218
    I would recommend looking into self study first, especially L2 which is very basic. If you end up struggling you can then look at getting a provider for support for the whole course or just one or two modules. My only experience with distance providers is doing L3 spreadsheets with Kaplan. They have an online platform with copies of the text books, extra questions and an email tutor system. I'm sure other providers are similar but things to question are availability of tutor support, whether you get printed copies of textbooks, which textbooks they use and any extra practice assessments - especially if they are marked for the papers marked by people rather than computer.

Most prices exclude exam fees so check your local centres for price and availability, I've seen prices much higher for some providers so shop around, Kaplan seem lower. If you self study you can buy your textbooks and work through them, any queries you have could be answered here and at L3/4 there are workshops to support your revision. I didn't need support in the end and got through L3 no problem. You need to be self motivated with both self study and distance study, although a course with video lectures may suit others more if they find learning from reading more difficult/demotivating - these are more expensive and there are some free video/audio lectures online. Remember AAT offers lots of support - syllabus outlines, exam feedback, a few videos and lots of questions and activities for each paper, so self study or a provider with less 'frills' and lower prices is more than enough to pass L2/3.
  • Spreadsheet_Vertigo
    Thanks for the comments. Regarding Kaplan, I think if you compare like for like, Eagle and Premier do come out a little cheaper, as they include recorded videos as part of their packages, whereas Kaplan includes these in their premium package. I'd certainly like the option of tutor support.
  • ariadne
    ariadne Registered Posts: 218
    The reason I recommend trying self study first is because L2 is very easy and I would have been annoyed at paying out so much extra money for a service I didn't use. In fact I didn't think it was worth paying to sit the exams so L2 cost me £50 for books off ebay and L3 was about £550 in total for books off ebay, exam fees and one Kaplan module. L4 is much tougher so far and I can see more benefit to support or even classes.
  • Spreadsheet_Vertigo
    Are there any books in particular you'd recommend, including any revision books? I'm guessing it must have cost you around £300 or so in total including the exams etc.
  • Spreadsheet_Vertigo
    Bump!
  • Donna Curling
    Donna Curling Registered Posts: 59 Regular contributor ⭐
    First Intuition have a good reputation as well as Accountancy Learning
    Donna Curling - AAT Tutor
    www.completebookkeeping.co.uk
Privacy Policy