Securing employer funding

Options
RosieJane
RosieJane Registered Posts: 35
Hi everyone

I'm just looking for a bit of advice regarding securing employer funding to study AAT Level 3.

I am in a new job (6 weeks) and have asked what study support is available to me. My employer has asked how me studying my Level 3 would benefit the company. I need to respond and then they will consider my request further.

I am not entirely sure what I should respond saying. I have a few points in mind but don't want to blow it by saying the wrong thing. I expected them to be keen and want me to study so am a bit unsure what to say now

What would your answer be?

My situation is that I am 24, I have completed my AAT Level 2 in a previous job . That employer couldn't accomodate me for the next level and I ended up in Investment Management for a bit and then took time off to have a baby. Now I have secured an accountancy job, I am wanting to continue my studies and complete the AAT (and then possibly some more accountancy exams to follow in the future)

So, at the moment, I would class myself as a bit of a 'confident novice' in the accounting world and these exams would reinforce skills and experience that I am learning. I am responsible for purchase ledger and arrears at the moment aswell as dealing with prepayments and accruals, which I have no experience or knowledge of at all (I believe this is covered at Level 3?)

Please share your thoughts :)

Comments

• Adele69
    Adele69 Registered Posts: 320
    Options
    Do you know if there are current AAT students in the company where you work, and if they were funded?

I'm halfway through Level 2 which work funded, but am unlikely to get funding for Level 3 as I've moved to a more application support role. For the last two day IT course last week I had to sign a contract saying I would have to pay back pro-rata costs of training if I left within 2 years of the course. But this is the public sector and large parts have virtually no budget for training.

Many of my senior colleagues are AAT qualified, so having the qualification would mean I had a chance at professional advancement if anyone left, or there was yet another restructure. There is an argument for knowing things like Accruals vs just following someone's procedure. How does the business know everything is being covered correctly if there is no background knowledge of where it fits in with the double entry accounting. (This is from the perspective of a Purchase Ledger Clerk who only knows their little bit of the whole accounting picture).
  • StuartW
    StuartW Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi @RosieJane, and welcome to the forums - it's a good question.

I don't know what size of firm you work for, but coincidentally this week AAT has published some research that illustrates how small and medium-sized businesses miss out by not training their staff: There are some interesting figures in the research that might be useful when you make your case?

You might also find some useful things to cite in this article: Hopefully some other members will be able to offer their advice as well.
Privacy Policy