Directors and SSP

emma1801
emma1801 Registered Posts: 55 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi All

I am hoping someone can help me as I called HMRC today and was told I will get a call back before the 1st May, not ideal would have liked an answer now.

The only Director/employee of a small Limited Company has injured his ankle and will be unable to work for the next 2 months at least. My question is will he be entitled to Statutory Sick Pay and if the Company does not have enough funds to pay the SSP what are his options?

Thank you.

Comments

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    If his pay is qualifying (i.e. his salary is high enough for him to claim) then yes. There is advance funding available from HMRC. https://www.gov.uk/recover-statutory-payments/reclaiming
    Regards,

Burg
  • emma1801
    Thank you for the response, the link relates to materniry and paternity not SSP

HMRC did call me today and yes he is entitled but i explained the company does not have the funds to pay him and i was told SSP is no longer reclaimable from HMRC.

It seems i have hit a dead end.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    SSP reclaim was scrapped over a year ago. Sorry I don't know what other options there are. Is the company solvent?
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Wasn't aware that it was scrapped. Pretty sure we did one back in October time. Anyway that doesn't help you.
    Regards,

Burg
  • emma1801
    Yes company is solvent, i think his only option is to subcontract his work until he is able to get back on his feet.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    edited May 2015
    Unfortunately SSP reclaim went out at the same time the EA came in
  • jamesm96
    jamesm96 Registered Posts: 523
    I know this is moot now as you can't do it retrospectively, but always good to mention things like keyman insurance, or personal income protection for the director personally. Clients usually like general commercial advice like that and it makes you look good too.
  • emma1801
    Great good point for the future James. Thank you
  • emma1801
    My Client has just advised me he is entitled to ESA while out of action.
Privacy Policy