Working for myself

Hi Just joined the forum but been a MAAT for 8years. I am considering working for myself but need to maintain I have a decent income. I am also unsure about how to set up my systems and what I will need for my clients. I have also aware that I need to ins and other things in place. I would love to speak to someone who has done this for some advice.

thanks

Comments

• Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Have a chat with the AAT MiP team. Do you have practice experience?
  • GJules
    GJules Registered Posts: 4
    Hi Gem - no I could never get into practice as they always want experience in the job ads. I have lots of Financial procedures, Month end Management accounts etc as I used to be a financial controller. I think I am just thinking too hard about it. I did an online webinar on being your own boss last month with the AAt and becoming a MIP this is what's got me thinking about it. I just need to know how other members set up their systems and what they use. Does everyone use excel or Sage for each client etc.

thanks
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    It really depends what services you want to offer. If you are looking at bookkeeping, management accounts, VAT and payroll then there are other programs apart from sage and excel. VT is very popular due to the price (a fraction of sage) and usability. Payroll software is another ball game with moneysoft and 12pay being popular.

You will also need PII and you will need to register with the ICO for data protection and HMRC for any agent services you will require (as well as registering as self employed for yourself). You will need Money Laundering supervision which AAT might do for you.

Good luck!
  • GJules
    GJules Registered Posts: 4
    Thanks Gem, still considering whether to take the plunge!
  • damo7lcfc
    damo7lcfc Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    Hi all,
    I was just seeking some feedback and advice from fellow MAAT's. Having recently become MAAT a couple of people have approached me about doing there self assessment tax returns online on there behalf. So I was just wondering what I would need to do, to be able to do this (i.e) would I need to register with HMRC as an agent/adviser, what is the best way to do this in terms of using online software or file paper returns and finally how much would people recommend charging people if I was to do this in my own time? any feedback, suggestions, advise of other peoples experiences would be greatly appreciated!

I did post this in another discussion but thought this may be relevant to this discussion. Any thoughts or advise would be really appreciated. thanks :)
Privacy Policy