Self Assessment Tax Returns

damo7lcfc Just JoinedRegistered Posts: 4
Hi all,
I was just seeking some feedback and advice from fellow MAAT's. Having recently become MAAT a couple of people have approached me about doing there self assessment tax returns online on there behalf. So I was just wondering what I would need to do, to be able to do this (i.e) would I need to register with HMRC as an agent/adviser, what is the best way to do this in terms of using online software or file paper returns and finally how much would people recommend charging people if I was to do this in my own time? any feedback, suggestions, advise of other peoples experiences would be greatly appreciated!


  • burg
    burg Experienced Mentor GloucesterModerator, FMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 1,441
    You will also need to speak with the AAT about becoming an MIP. Some guidance here

  • damo7lcfc
    damo7lcfc Just Joined Registered Posts: 4
    thanks burg, so do I need to contact AAT, inform them & become a MIP before I can start to submit self assessment tax returns for people?? Sorry if this sounds silly but I wouldn't want to do anything incorrectly! any other advise would be greatly appreciated! thanks. :)
  • burg
    burg Experienced Mentor GloucesterModerator, FMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 1,441
    Yes you need to contact them even if it is for exemption.

    You then to do the following:-

    Register as an agent with HMRC
    Take out profesional indemnity insurance
    Register as a data handler with the ICO
    Register with AAT for MLR (or HMRC if applicable)
    Decide what services you will/can offer
    Decide what software you will use (or just HMRC's system)
    Get systems in place for deadline reminders and work management etc

  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Trusted Regular Hampshire/Surrey borderModerator, MAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 1,433
    As burg said you wouldn't be able to advertise that you are MAAT unless you join the MIP scheme. To register you just need to show you have sufficient relevant experience in the services you wish to offer.
    If you wish to offer pro bono services you still need to call the AAT team to let them know.
Privacy Policy