Mature student - employability.

I am in my late 40's and Level 4 to start and finish.

How difficult/easy is it for older newly qualified technicians to find first employment in accounting ?

Is it much more challenging/possible to attempt employment in Practice compared with Industry ???

thank you for your comments

Comments

• Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor 🐘
    That's a fairly difficult question to answer.
    I would first try to decide what type of job you are looking for rather than which one is possible/challenging. Which part of accounting really interests you - tax, management or financial accounting? No point in going for management accounts if you cannot stand doing them!

Think of what other experience in the workplace you have that would be useful. Have you had any accounting experience (however small) which you could build on to get that first job?

Don't leave it until that final exam - start looking what is out there now.

Good luck and remember to keep trying!

Jan

• MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    Hi
    I think you need to be prepared to accept a junior salary (accountancy practices tend to pay less than industry).
    I would also advise to write speculative letters rather than answer job adverts where you will be in competition with dozens of young graduates. When I was studying level 3 (in my 40's) I wrote to several local companies and luckily landed an interview and a job with a small practice. The pay was terrible but it allowed me to gain some experience whist studying.

Good luck! :)
  • zazou
    zazou Registered Posts: 4
    Great points from both.
    Thank you for your comments !
Privacy Policy