Starting AAT - Worried about the Maths element

Options
PunkyFish
PunkyFish Registered Posts: 2
Hello

So after a long time of debating whether or not to do the AAT and being fed up in a dead end admin job! I decided to do Level 2 through distance learning. However I'm a bit concerned as to how difficult the Maths element will be. I passed my Maths GCSE about 8 years ago but I've done no maths since except for basic adding and subtracting in my job. I currently work in an office in admin which Ivedone for a few years now. I've been looking at some AAT Access courses as well which says you will learn how to do ratios, averages and so forth. Now I've not done ratios or averages for years and I can't remember what they even mean let alone how to do them.

Basically I'm clueless at Maths and I am starting to worry about whether I could cope with the maths side of the qualification and with the maths element to accountancy as well. Obviously I'm well aware that accountancy involves maths but I'm a bit unsure how as to whether to do the AAT because of my concerns?

Could anyone provide some advice?

Comments

• ChristianB
    ChristianB Registered Posts: 197 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi @PunkyFish

Anyone can study AAT. You don't actually need a GCSE in maths. By the sound of things, you'd probably be fine!

I'd advise that you use our Skillcheck tool. This will look at the skills that you currently have and see what the best starting level of AAT is for you.

Regards
    I have now left AAT. If you require any assistance with the forums, please contact membership support: https://www.aat.org.uk/contact-us
  • Sharon123
    Sharon123 Registered Posts: 80
    Options
    I find that when I tell people I work in Accounts they think I must be a mathematician but the job is more about arranging numbers in order to obtain information. If you passed GCSE Maths then you will be fine and good study materials should take you through everything step by step
Privacy Policy