Accounting software for newly created Limited Company

Options
Josiecart
Josiecart Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
This is a bit cheeky because I'm not currently a member in practice but I thought this is where the people with the answers would be! I'm looking for some advice on accounting software, the business is my husband's and I'm going to do the bookkeeping and payroll (alongside my day job as a School Business Manager) but we're using an accountant for the final accounts. It's a newly created limited company that will be an agency therefore no stock. It's a VAT registered company, monthly invoices to other companies (outside the UK - zero rated supply of services), payroll for 1 or 2, purchases will mainly be on a debit card or direct debit for things like fuel, flights, accommodation, business entertainment, telephones. The accountant my husband spoke to suggested Xero (they are Xero partners) but I don't like the look of it. Xero doesn't allow journals that affect the bank accounts (apparently I can't do a straightforward manual journal for the money we have lent to the business) and I think maybe it's designed for owner/users without accounts training but I'm just finding the demo version confusing because I'm used to more traditional packages. In the past I've used Sage and QuickBooks but I'm currently using Capita's SIMS FMS which is for schools. Any advice gratefully received!!!

Comments

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    We like Xero but it does have its limitations. Our software of choice is Clearbooks. If you want to be making journal entries it is possible. The only way it has a major advantage though is by doing bank imports direct from the bank. Happy to help if you send me an email to info@mbsaccountants.co.uk

Other than that Sage One may be an options but it is quite basic.
    Regards,

Burg
  • paulstafford
    paulstafford Registered Posts: 126 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    If you like a more traditional accounting package , rather than one of the cloud offerings, have a look at VT Transactions
Privacy Policy